Sooo much to learn here...

Well, I've been reading posts for a couple of days now, and I think I'm ready to order some supplies for a beginner. My mom is interested in making her own candles, so happy christmas to her! I was thinking about getting the beginner pillar kit from Peak, but I don't think the scents and colors would interest her at all. I guess I'll just order it all separately.

My question is about wax though. I read in the FAQ that I should get it locally because of shipping charges. The only place that I know of is Hobby Lobby locally. They have a wax with a melting point of 133 that will need additives. Would this work for pillar candles? What additives would she need for the wax?

Does anyone know of any local stores in mid-Michigan?

Thanks for any help you can give me! :D

Thanks for the links, Eugenia. I don't think either of those places had slabs of wax though. Maybe I'll just suck it up and pay for the shipping. Unless someone will tell me that the Hobby Lobby stuff is of decent quality? :undecided Anyone?

Thanks again,

Amanda

Oh you can make candles out of Hobby Lobby stuff lol. Just get some steric and other additives to go with it. It's usually all in the same aisle. However, instead of making the investment into HL products, how about looking at some of the candle supply places and pricing out a pillar starter kit? At least you'd get more for your money and way better FOs that way than buying at HL :)

You might check out the classifieds on here. Shutterbug had some wax available I believe and she lives in Mich.

Amanda

I live in Michigan also. NuScents Candle is in Chicago area. Can't think of link. They have some supplies. I don't care for their scents, but their wax and other supplies is fairly reasonable even with shipping when I am in a pinch. Fast too. I order one day and get the next. They sell in smaller quantities. I tried Hobby Lobby supplies when I first started also. By the time you get everything you need, you probably will have spent more than if you had ordered it. Also, the quality is not nearly as nice as actual suppliers that deal in only candles.

Here it is www.nuscentscandle.com

The wax from Hobby Lobby will work, however a MP of 133 is too low for pillars, IMO. When people say look for local suppliers, it doesn't mean only somewhere you can drive to. Local for shipping is also cheaper than shipping from the opposite side of the country. I would recommend a pillar kit too. You can always purchase a couple different colors of dye chips and a sample bottle of a scent you think she'd like to go with the kit.

Thank you all so much! I ended up ordering everything from Peaks. The products are a lot cheaper than HL and the shipping wasn't that much more with the wax. I hope my mom will appreciate the higher quality too. :wink2: I will definately send her over here when she is ready to get started because you all are so helpful!

I just wish I had the time and energy to start a new hobby(I hardly have time to knit with my 2 year old around as it is!). I looked through the gallery and you all make some gorgeous candles. So, instead, I will help out my mom and hopefully she'll make some for me. Thanks a bunch! :D

You will find too that candlemaking suppliers are a lot cheaper than HL or Michaels, or any other craft store when it comes to buying supplies. I was horrified to find that a mold I want (fluted) is $26.99 at Michaels, is also available at CandleScience for $9.99....... Even with shipping it's cheaper!!!! I would say that if you intend to make a lot of candles, buying from a supplier who is near to you is preferable to a craft/hobby store.

Michael's wax (Yaley's prem) went up to $25/11 lb slab, Joann's has stayed at $20 but even with shipping charges, I come out around 50% cheaper by ordering online. Plus it's really nice having someone else carry that heavy case of wax to my door. When it comes to wicks, you can't get a good variety from the craft stores and their FO run $5.99/oz, **choke**

Michael's wax (Yaley's prem) went up to $25/11 lb slab

A few weeks ago I got the 11-lb slab for $10.48 with the 40% off coupon. Normally it is $15.99 here.

If it has jumped to $25 (which would be like a 75% increase here) then I will certainly be looking into something new.

Here in Phoenix, the coupons for the craft stores are usually in the sunday paper. A subscriber can get additional Sunday papers for 50 cents - so you might want to check with your local paper to see if the same thing applies in your area -- then you can get a BUNCH of coupons and still save mega $

I signed up as a preferred customer at Joann's. I get email notices of their sales w/10% off for perferred customer and also get their wkly mailing which this week has 40% off for preferred customer and another 40% for regular peeps. I can hit 2 of each store, Michael's and Joann's without going out of my way - I'm in need of color blocks & shrink wrap so off for a ride I go :D