Confused

I just cannot find the right candle.

I've tried so many. Im up to $2,000. on my credit card!

My last try I thought I would want to do the 100% Soy with no coloring.

I tried the Soy 464 (peaks) and Eco 14 in a mason jar. No smell when I burn. The burning looks awesome. Cold throw is where I want it. Why in the world would it not give a hot throw. Very fustrating!

If anyone could give me some advice, Im so confused at this moment!

Thanks much!:yay:

When I was using soy I found there were a lot of FOs that did not work well in it. The few that did worked were excellent but they were far and few between.

Make sure you are adding FO at a high enough temp and stirring for at least 2 minutes.

There is a sticky in the Veggie section of this board that has a list of what other peopke have found to work in soy. Maybe start there.

Actually it's not hard and doesn't take long to rack up that much in supplies.

Crazzie- if curing doesn't help than maybe we can look at something else in your mix. Good luck and let us know how the HT is after 1 week.

Bella Rose - you haven't been a member too long on this forum, but you act like you run the thing. Can your opinions be a little less abrasive?

She made her first candle in January according to her earlier posts.:tiptoe:

Where did you get your oils and what were they?

How much did you use per pound of wax?

And what wicks are you using, what diameter is your jar. Are you using straight 464 or adding anything?

Willow, I agree This forum should be about helping others.

Crazzie, sorry i just reread your post mason jar and eco wicks, I would use a cd 16 or 18 in that jar with straight soy.

Edited by soy327

There is a sticky in the Veggie section of this board that has a list of what other peopke have found to work in soy. Maybe start there.

I did check out the sticky veggie section. Very informattive, will read it over tonight.

I used 464 no coloring, melted the wax at 175 and poured at 120. In a 8 oz mason jar with CD 10 and I also tried the 14.

A BIG thanks to all who is helping. I love candles and do not want to give it up.

And if you want to stay with the Eco series, try a smaller one in that size jar, maybe an Eco 8 or even a 6. Eco 14 is a pretty large wick. You might be burning off your scent.

Edited by deb426

I did check out the sticky veggie section. Very informattive, will read it over tonight.

I used 464 no coloring, melted the wax at 175 and poured at 120. In a 8 oz mason jar with CD 10 and I also tried the 14.

A BIG thanks to all who is helping. I love candles and do not want to give it up.

Wow I thought you were talkin the 16oz masons the 3+ diameter. I apologize I would put a CD8 to start in a 8oz.

Candle making just isn't for anyone, no matter what you hear. At that $ amount I would also consider a different craft.

I tend to agree, but when people are willing to try to learn, despite their investment or difficulty, I'll keep trying to help them.

Crazzie, take heart. Pick ONE wax and stick with it. Pick ONE relatively easy container to start. Make a successfully wicked candle using that wax and a wick - nothing else. Once you succeed there, start adding things ONE at a time (fo, then dye, etc.). This allows you to build on your successes and also to learn the effect an ingredient really has on your candle system. Good luck and feel free to ask questions in the veggie wax forum anytime you are having problems with veggie wax. :)

Einstein and I have well over $5k in this now. We do have a lot of pillars and containers ready to sell that are good and solid products and we have a lot of inventory.

I can't say that I had it all figured out at the $2K mark and even at that milestone, there was plenty of inventory.

I'm using soy for scentless restaurant style candles now and have a bunch built. It was pretty easy to figure out the wick with no dye and no FO. I have totally given up on trying to make a heavy hot throw soy candle. Yeah, some FO's work, but only some. Paraffin and palm take just about anything that you can toss into the pot.

I would think that at the $2K mark, there's enough to experiment with for a long time. Keep at it.

The more detailed your information, the better the folks on this forum can help. I've seen a lot of very helpful people come out of the woodwork when the right information is given.

Wax type and amount

stable melted temp

additive types and percentages/amounts

FO name and supplier

FO amount used in percentage

Temp FO added to wax

Type and amount of color (chip, block, liquid, etc)

wick type and size

identify the container

pour temperature

cure time

Any additional information you think would help us.

I sometimes think that folks want our recipes and I need to guard them closely. I'm sure some who lurk here want just that, but the folks who can help already have their own recipes and really just want to offer their experience.

Edited by EricofAZ

She made her first candle in January according to her earlier posts.:tiptoe:

And, your point is?? I can tell you right now I've spent a quarter of the money the OP has and in the past 3 months, perfected a pure soy container with manyyyyyy many scents. Intuition and lots of research !! Amazing hot & cold throw, etc...! :P