Newbie w/ question about additives

:wave:Hello! I have been learning so much from this forum & have been studying & testing & just having so much fun! BUT, I do have a question. I have searched, however I am more confused than ever. I am using C-3 and loving it. It has given me smooth tops before and after burning, and I find it pretty easy for a newbie. I am using FO from CS & have had pretty good luck w/ those too. Finally narrowed my wick down to the HTP series (usually 83, give or take a size) for my 8 oz jj. Then, I start reading about additives, so I thought what the heck? I'll experiment. So, I added 1/4 tsp of UV inhibitor & 1/2 tbsp. Universal Soy Additive, & all of a sudden I have rough tops?!:( I also had sink holes around the wick. Admittedly, when I tried this I poured a little hotter than normal, around 160. I usually pour at 130 ish.

So, my question is do you think this is just a temp. issue, or do I just need to stick w/ the basics, wax, FO, etc? For those of you that use additives, was there a problem you were correcting, or do the additives really just give you a better candle?

Thanks so much, I am having so much fun with my new, albeit ridiculously expensive new hobby! :D

Someone may have the exact answer but in terms of applying the scientific method here you have too many variables between the additives and the temp change. I find it best to make one change at a time and observe the effects. It means more candles and test burns but the cause of the results will be more clear.

Yeah, I know it was different as far as temps, etc. While I was posting I made a couple of candles following my previous notes, with the only difference being the additives, and I once again got weird looking tops and sinkholes, so I am thinking maybe I'll just leave the additives alone, and see what happens. Oh, and yes, I'll continue to test, test, test. No worries! :cheesy2: I guess I was really wondering if additives are absolutely needed for good burning candles. So far in my experimenting, the answer is no, but I'd like someone w/ more experience than me to give me some guidance. Thanks again!!

I agree with ChrisR & deb426. First, if your candles are giving you good results, why would you use an additive? You'd only be adding to the cost of the candle! Having said that, I ALWAYS use UV inhibitor because it is needed to help the candle's color remain constant when exposed to florescent or natural light. Even uncolored candles benefit from its use. You did not mention if you are using dye... dyes can have a lot of bearing on frosting and wicking.

Adding anything else is strictly dependent on what issues you are having. If you are not having problems with throw or frosting, then don't use it. If the temps at which you are pouring & cooling worked for you, don't change them.

I use 1 Tablespoonful of USA per pound of wax and have no sinking or surface issues. I pour at 165°F in most cases. I use EVO liquid dyes and CDN wicks. That's MY experience - your mileage may vary. ;) Pay close attention to your pour temp and how you are cooling your candles as that has a greater effect on sinkholes and rough surfaces than does adding USA. HTH :)

Well, the only reason I was using the additives was just to play w/ it. Maybe it was just a coincidence that it happened now. The first one that went a little haywire I did use dye,(one yellow dye chip, honeysuckle jasmine FO) so far no frosting, just a strange sinkholed, rough top -which was different than what I had experienced w/C-3. When I poured that candle, the temp. was different because silly me thought I had the time to make a couple of candles, but my little guy thought differently! :laugh2: The second was not dyed, and I did everything the same as I had done before, (w/ the exception of the additives) and got completely different results.

Thank you all for responding, I'll definately be playing around w/ it some more. Like I said, this is strictly hobby for me, & I guess the only way to learn is to make mistakes. :)

I just recently switched over to C3 & the only additives I put in is coconut oil & UV. I pour at cloudy stage & they look fine. I do have a bright red one that has been sitting under a florescent light for 2 months now to test for fading. I am liking the C3 a lot, I was using 415.

I just recently switched over to C3 & the only additives I put in is coconut oil & UV.

Did you try using the C3 without the CO additive? When testing a new wax, it's best to learn about that wax first before using additives to "correct" problems you may not even experience... ;)

I did play around w/ some Ecosoya 135 & didn't really like it all that well. I tried the additives in there, & it did seem to help w/ that particular wax. Funny how the C-3 seemed to do better without any, ( for me) but the Ecosoya did seem to benefit. I just received some more C-3, so I'm going to try to just simplify, and see how it goes. :)

I'll have to read up on that. It might be something I'll experiment with in the future. I'm thinking of going dye-free. I know frosting still happens, but is much less noticable. Let me ask you this, though... did you notice much change in wick sizes w/ the CO, or did they pretty much stay the same? I'm finally getting that narrowed down. :)