Clamshell pouring question

EnvyCandles

We currently wait until the wax has completely cooled to snap the tops shut. Does anyone here close them when they are still melted? Aside from possibly spilling the wax while you close it, any problems with doing this? Or with waiting until the wax has at least formed skin?

I've always waited to close them until they are completely cooled or if those were the last ones I did before bed I'll wait until the tops are set up. Whenever I've done that I can feel the lower half is warm but looks set if that makes sense. I've always been leary of closing them before atleast the tops are set due to fear of making a mess of them.

Last night/ this morning haha I waited until they were cooled but warm- then snapped them shut and stacked them up. I see no difference in them.

My next batch I will try to close them while they are liquid-y... so long as I do not spill them I am hoping it should be fine. I really wanted to avoid knocking into the open lid, or something similar.

Just wanted to see if anyone had experience with closing them early...

:P

Why would you want or need to close them before the wax has hardened? It would make a mess by splattering when the lid snaps shut. I like mine to look pretty and smooth. :)

I can't answer for the OP but it might be a case of physical room. Once closed the take up less space and can even be stacked.

I let mine cool completely.

I, too, would love to be able to close them sooner because I only have 5 feet of pouring space and opened clamshells take up a lot of room. I tried the ones from WSP with separate lids and that helps with the space issue, but they hold less and I like the size of the snap-shut ones (don't want to have to deal with two different prices, so they're just for gift baskets and family until they're used up). Just because I'm not the most graceful person in the world, I wouldn't try to close them before they're set up--but other people may be able to accomplish that!