1st timer - Help!!!!

ktaggard

Hi! Just made my first two batches of melts. All I smell is wax in my molds. Is this common or did I do somehting wrong? Will the fragrance get stronger as it cools and cures?

I mixed 1/2 Ilb KY Para-soy wax with 1/2 ounce fragrance - from Nature's Garden - Lick me all over, and Twilight in the Woods. Heated the wax to about 165 added fragrance, waited a minute or two - using Therometer and poured. 1st batch I took melting pot out of water as I stirred in fragrance, second batch I left in water while I stirred. Maybe I poured too hot or cold. I really don't know. Does pour temp make a huge difference?

Help!!!

Hello and Welcome,

I think you will need to let them sit and cure a day or so. Some scents just don't have great cold throw and then when you melt them, the scent is there!

I don't use those specific oils from Nature's Garden but usually Nature's Garden oils are very good. If you melt them after two or three days and there is no scent, you might want to increase the oil or add the fragrance at a little higher temp or stir the fragrance into the wax longer, at least a minute of stirring.

Twilight in the woods is a light fragrance and I find I have to up the % a little. Lick me all over has a good hot throw in both my soy and palm waxes. You could have candle nose as in your sense of smell has been desensitized to those fragrances. Especially if you were sniffing the hot wax while stirring in the FO. I dont know about the wax because we cant get it here in Au. I would wait a few days and then melt one and see how it goes.

HTH

Thank you for your help. I tried all your suggestions and they have helped. I also think my nose was not working too well after smelling and resmelling all the new scents I ordered. After smelling my creations this morn, I am much happier with the results.

I ended up making 10 batches of tarts yesterday - my girls and I made them all night. It was a blast and I can't wait to burn them in a few days. I even dreamed about making candles last night. I think I'm already obessed. Is this a common problem? :smiley2: Thanks again.

Thank you for your help. I tried all your suggestions and they have helped. I also think my nose was not working too well after smelling and resmelling all the new scents I ordered. After smelling my creations this morn, I am much happier with the results.

I ended up making 10 batches of tarts yesterday - my girls and I made them all night. It was a blast and I can't wait to burn them in a few days. I even dreamed about making candles last night. I think I'm already obessed. Is this a common problem? :smiley2: Thanks again.

Great news! The common problem is the addiction to ordering new fragrance oils.:laugh2:

I didn't have much luck in my testing of KY para-soy, but I generally use 9% in my tarts. Try remelting and adding another 3%.

Did you stir really well to mix the FO?

Georgia, What is your favorite wax for making Tarts? Thanks, again.

So dissappointed. I tried burning my tarts today. They have no HT at all. I'm so sad. :sad2: I tried everything that was suggested. I am thinking I got a bad batch of wax. I saw on another thread that some others were dissappointed in KY Para-soy. Not a great start, but I am not giving up. I'm going to try another brand- I ordered 4794 and 415 from Peak. Hope it will go better next time.

This makes me so sad for you! I just ordered the parasoy wax myself & it's supposed to be here tomorrow......now I'm scared / frustrated that my wax is affected like yours and the others in the other thread.....

I mix my own...25% para/soy blend with 75% 1343. Releases well and has great throw.

Sam, I'm glad to hear someone say something positive about KY. I was hoping to save on shipping as I'm about an hour away, but I just couldn't make it work...

I mix my own...25% para/soy blend with 75% 1343. Releases well and has great throw.

Sam, I'm glad to hear someone say something positive about KY. I was hoping to save on shipping as I'm about an hour away, but I just couldn't make it work...

Yes it was good but I now use a para/soy blend of my own, but also like The Candle Source Wax , With being in KY I can drive right over to ohio and pick it up.