Directional Wicks

Most wicks seem to be NOT directional, but I read where the RRD is directional.

I read where the V or the upward and outward weave should be up.

As I look at the flat braids and square braids and ply and Eco's and CD/s, etc, it is obvious that one side goes up and the other down. So it doesn't seem to matter which way to install into the metal base.

RRD by everyone's believe is the exception in that it really is supposed to be directional.

Well, as I look at this round wick (raw off a spool like most all of my wicks), it has the same up/down weave to it and I just can't see where one direction favors the other.

Any thoughts/info/help here?

PS, Einstein is not of much help here, she just bats it around when I dangle it. I'll try to pay attention if she favors one batting angle over another or one paw over another. That might tell me which direction. She's pretty smart.

Edited by EricofAZ

Most wicks seem to be NOT directional, but I read where the RRD is directional.

I read where the V or the upward and outward weave should be up.

As I look at the flat braids and square braids and ply and Eco's and CD/s, etc, it is obvious that one side goes up and the other down. So it doesn't seem to matter which way to install into the metal base.

Any thoughts/info/help here?

Eric, the upward/downward VVVV's determine which way the wick will curl. The only problem is, I can never remember which until I examine a wick which has already been burned at least once. It has been addressed here previously, I think TOP posted about it, if I remember correctly.

Ok, but one side has the V opening up and the other the ^ is open on the downward direction. It is how the wick is woven. Did you roll the wick in your fingers and look at the other side?

Edited by EricofAZ

Ok, but one side has the V opening up and the other the ^ is open on the downward direction. It is how the wick is woven. Did you roll the wick in your fingers and look at the other side?

:confused: Yah.... It is ^ on one side and v on the other. Is that what you mean?

Pam stated that the side with ^ is the direction that the wick will curl.

Edited by IwantItgreen

Ok, good, so if I put the wick in with the V that way and burn one and put another in upside down to that, it also has V and will burn. So it curls to the side of the ^ regardless of whether I put it in one way or the other that's fine.

I understand that the wicking action may be different from one side to the other based on the V.

That's not the question I was asking.

I've read where the direction of the wick causes it to wick more efficiently or less efficiently. That's different from curling side.

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77392

Edited by EricofAZ

Where's TOP??

Top hasn't been here in over a month.

Directional wicks are tricky. It all depends on how it was spooled. If it's direct from the manufacturer I imagine the tab would go on the cut end ... but if respooled that end may be the end that should be lit. So the only advice I can offer is to go back to the supplier and find out how it was spooled.

Hope that made sense ...