The 12-sided Dodecagon Jar vs. the 8 oz jj

I bought some 8 oz jj locally because the comments here say they're a bestseller, especially in rural areas. They're embossed with fruit. My local hardware store will order canning jars for customers year round with no added shipping costs. :yay: But I like the 12-sided Dodecagon jar too, & the 6 oz one holds almost as much wax as the 8 oz jj. They only cost a little bit more too. Which seems to be more popular with customers in general? I rarely see the 12-sided Dodecagon candles online compared to jj, is that because the jj is much more popular with customers? or what? lol

P.S. This is the jar I'm considering, but my daughter doesn't like it, so I'm wondering if that means it's got limited appeal...hmmm... http://www.candlescience.com/containers/6oz-12sided-jar/

I like it. :) I'm thinking that rural people in my area would like a low-cost candle that's a little different than the JJ & hex. Thoughts?

Edited by HorsescentS

I can't recall seeing any of those type jars being sold at any place I've been selling candles. I sell the 8 oz jj and they sell extremely well. Mine are the smooth jj (not embossed). Those are nice looking jars and may sell well if they are different from other things offered in your area. But, it's hard to say which would sell better for you in your area. Also if you are planning on putting your company label on the jar, it doesn't look like you'd be able to with the 12 sided jar. Just to note that I had early on used some of the embossed and the quilted jj's and the label was a pita with the jar not being smooth. I started out using the quilted jj's, but, hated the labeling issue. Switched to the smooth and not looked back. Hope this helped some.

Thanks, pleasureridgecandles! :)

I kinda like the idea of putting the label on the lid, so I might try that on my jj. I saw some 12-sided Dodecon jars that looked nice with an oval label on the front too.

I also saw some very pretty Glass Glow 12-sided candles that were "double-wicked for a pretty glow." I'm not ready to get into GG, so I'm starting with 6006, but the 12-sided really shows off the crystalization of GG beautifully.

I wonder if the embossed jj are a turn-off to some customers? If they really want a country look, embossed is very country. But my daughter only likes the smooth jj because she thinks they look cute, not country. lol Decisions decisions!

Since I'll start out selling to friends & fam, I'll show both jars & see what they like. I wish there were fancier lids for the Dodecon jar.

A warning about the 2 piece jelly jar lids that are sold at local stores for canning. I noticed that after a while my candles changed their scent with these lids. I switched to the one piece screw on lids (continuous thread or CT lids) and no more scent morphing. Not sure why that happened with the two-piece but it did. I was using my parasoy blend wax.

The JJs are the most convenient thou because you can buy them at local shops and save on shipping. That is huge.

I also prefer the smooth JJ's over the embossed. I just didn't like putting the labels on the lids so I only get the smooth ones.

A warning about the 2 piece jelly jar lids that are sold at local stores for canning. I noticed that after a while my candles changed their scent with these lids. I switched to the one piece screw on lids (continuous thread or CT lids) and no more scent morphing. Not sure why that happened with the two-piece but it did. I was using my parasoy blend wax.

The JJs are the most convenient thou because you can buy them at local shops and save on shipping. That is huge.

I also prefer the smooth JJ's over the embossed. I just didn't like putting the labels on the lids so I only get the smooth ones.

Yikes! I'll check mine & see what lids they came with, but they look like a one-piece silver lid, & they're Ball jars. But, if necessary, can I buy one-piece lids locally or are they only at candle suppliers?

Yes, jj is very convenient. Right now the cheapest are at Food Warehouse.

But if it weren't for labeling issues, would you think embossed are cute? Or too junky?

Local places sell the regular canning jar lids. I can only get the 2 piece in stores around here.

I buy my JJ lids at Fillmore Container and CS depending on who I may be ordering from at the moment.

Oh, darn. Now I'm going to stress out about which jj lid color to choose. :confused: