Skin on soap

sweetbamabrown

Do you mean after you have it all melted? If that's the case, I put a piece of saran wrap over my container which slows down the skin formation but doesn't eliminate it..it just slows it down. It also depends on how long I have the soap sitting out awaiting to be poured onto my next layer. If left too long it will naturally cool and form the skin anway. When that happens I just remelt it back in when I'm ready to use the rest of my base. I use the double boiler method for melting..not the microwave.

Perhaps others have more suggestions.

If you have a skin forming on your soap within a couple of minutes you're not heating your base hot enough. You can heat M&P up to 185. I do because I add butters, oils, honey, oatmeal, all sorts of additives that need a hot base to incorporate them.

Another problem could be the base is old. Happens sometimes. Someone gave me some old bases they no longer wanted. When I was using them they were very dried out and formed skins and got gooey almost right away.

I always keep my base covered when I use the microwave. Now that I mostly use my rice cooker my base is always covered while heating.