A peculiar "wick" I'd like to find again

Back in grade 5, our class made candles. Simple ones, of course, just wax poured into the bottom half of a milk carton, with the carton then peeled off. The unusual part was the wick: We didn't put fabric wicks in the candles, but placed what, as far as I can recall, looked like cones of pumice with flared bases on top of the wax. Does anyone have any idea what the wicks were, and if they're available where I could find them?

Better go back to your fifth-grade teacher and ask what they were. I've not seen something like that. I'm sure you're not talking about the oil lamp wicks so I'm stumped.

Unless someone coated hemp differently in a sand base but that would take making them as I don't believe that's offered. Still stumped.

Edited by Scented

Better go back to your fifth-grade teacher and ask what they were. I've not seen something like that. I'm sure you're not talking about the oil lamp wicks so I'm stumped.

That could be difficult, considering that I'm now in my mid-40s and the teacher in question is in all likelihood dead.

OK I'm in mid to upper 40s and so the teacher might be dead and might not be. Depends on how old they were and they could be in their 90s, which to some isn't dead yet.

You got any more idea on this wick you think of? Like when you made the candle did you just burrow the thing into the wax or what?

Based on your age range, wicking has changed a lot since the 1970s. Maybe there was something back then like what you speak of, but I don't think it's around any more. Maybe it caused too much smoke or pollution or was just the teacher's naturalist way of making a wick ... hard to say.

So when you lit that candle, how'd it burn? You know what incense cones are (I hope) but those don't really resemble pumice so can you liken this wick to anything to expound on this mystery?

I've never seen these but it sounds like a porous stone impregnated with wax (to get it started with fuel) that then melts the candle wax to continue fueling the flame. Pumice is relatively soft (as is sandstone) - why not get some and fashion your own from memory and see what you come up with. Would even be worth a try to see how cone incense would do for this... Might be cool. :)

wish your 5th grade teacher had taught in my school

Edited by Stella1952