Aloe Vera Soap

Hello everyone!

Thankfully I have access to several aloe plants that my mom has. I want to make a soap with them. But I have some doubts.

First, when should I added?

Second, Do I just put the whole thing in with the green stuff and all in an hit with the stick blender, or do I just get the gel stuff?..I would like to get the green color.

I appreciate the help as always!

Dan

if it were me making this, i would do the soap HP and add the aloe after the cook so that the aloe is not subjected to saponification.

you could try blenderizing the whole leaf with some oil and add the puree after cooking. you may want to decrease your SF some to account for the oil in the aloe puree.

Edited by 3bees~1flower

I would puree and use as 50-100% of the liquid. If 100% then mix the lye into it, if 50% then add later. I personally wouldn't worry about the bits, but you might want to strain or something.

Edited by CareBear

Thank you for asking! I have also been wondering how to use my homegrown aloe. The aloe gel & juice that I've ordered from soap suppliers is nothing like the fresh gel. I will have to give this a try!

The green bits of the aloe probably won't stay green. I know cucumber bits don't. They still look cool, but they fade.

Edited by soulshine

Hi, first time post here, but long time herbalist, soap maker/b&b'er. In regards to fresh aloe vera juice, it degrades badly with high heat and freezing, rendering the health properties next to nil. Sorry, in my experience, I don't believe any soaping method is good for the juice unless you make liquid soap.

Personally, I believe the aloe juice is better suited for lotions since heat conditions are better if you mix it with your other heated ingredients, slowly warming the juice instead of cooking it to death.

Edited by nebo