Ecosoy, C1, or C3

Sorry about the repost. I posted this over in wickless yesterday and after thinking about it some I realised it would probobly fit better over here. . . .

So with shipping prices being a huge budget factor I've been trying to familiarize myself with local suppliers.

I just noticed that a supplier here in town carries Ecosoy Advanced, C1, & C3. Now because mixing scents is my first passion I don't really want to bother with something that is going to be too fussy and reject half my blend as soy seems to have a reputation to do . . . but it would be really nice to be able to pick up a lb of wax whenever I feel like it and throw some tarts together with my current scent obsession.

I know that I'm not going to get 100% FO tolerance, and I expect my scents to change a bit while burning, but I want there to be a decent chance that a scent will work. I've only worked with Glass Glow and so far I've been pretty satisfied with the scent, and really everything about it. I'm intrigued by soy, but all of the reports of it's scent issues have me really hesitant to actually try it . . . but local supplier would be really nice so I figured I'd see if it was worth considering.

Would checking them out be setting myself up for a world of frustration or is there one that is likely to be a great find?

I also figured that I should mention that I can't search for this. You can't search for a two letter word. Links would be appreciated.

Just figure I should mention that I tried before someone decided they needed to remind me that the forum has a seach feature ;)

I also figured that I should mention that I can't search for this. You can't search for a two letter word.
True of the forum search feature, but not the Google site search. Instructions for its use can be found here:

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1802

Post #2.

I found 129 hits for C1...

Ecosoya Advanced (CBA) does not work well with many FOs.

C1 is the container wax developed by NatureWax before C3.

NatureWax C3 has excellent cold and hot throw properties and has worked very well for me with the vast majority of FOs I have tested in it. It makes excellent tarts but is rather soft for the application. All three of the waxes you mentioned are container blends. To get the tarts out of the molds easily, you might want to try a pillar blend or add some stearic acid or palm wax to the container blend to improve its mold release and consistency qualities for tartmaking.

I don't really want to bother with something that is going to be too fussy and reject half my blend as soy seems to have a reputation to do
I don't know where you got that impression. In the early days of soy wax, many FOs did not work well with it because they were all formulated for use with paraffin.

We've come a long way baby.

Comments about scent throw troubles from posts about candles are not very reliable because wicking is a huge factor in "no hot throw" complaints. Soy waxes in general have excellent hot throw properties. I can only think of a couple that have poor HT in wickless applications...

Since you can buy any of these locally, why not just pick up a pound or so of each and test for yourself? ;)

Edited by Stella1952

Just when I thought I had the forum search all figured out! Thank you! You have no idea how many times I've tried to look up a supplier and growled about the no two letter word thing. It never occurred to me that there would be a way around it.

I wasn't sure about the container blend thing for tarts. I thought that I had heard of some people using them for tarts. I do have another local supplier that has some pillar wax, but I'll have to contact thier craft product buyer to figure out what type so I hadn't gone there yet.

Thanks for setting me strait on the soy. The only thing I hear about it is people here either complaining about HT or being really happy and loving it so I didn't know what to think.

This is basically me trying to decide if it's worth it to randomly pick some up for home scenting & play. I know I'm not at all willing to consider another wicking project at this point, but melts are something I use pretty regularly & would love to make some up myself.

Haven't tried the C1 but have used both the Naturewax C3 and Ecosoya Advanced (CBA). The C3 has a great H&C throw with lots of FOs I threw at it. Whereas the CBA was a spectacular disappointment as far as scent throw. It was designed primarily for a creamy opaqueness with little to no frosting at the expense of throw. It does make a pretty candle but finding FOs that throw in it takes a lot of testing and more than average cure time compared to most soy container blends.

I hadn't decided how I wanted to portion them. I had thought maybe I'd use a silicone ice tray mold I have of star shapes but I'm not sold on the idea. I hadn't even thought of portion cups. I ran off after reading your post to go educate myself & them seem pretty cool.

So if I wanted to do silicone molds I think I could add beeswax & that would make it hard, or I could just get restraunt cups and not worry about it. Decisions decisions! Thanks for the info.

I tried beeswax in C3 many years ago... don't remember the amount but even a little bit seemed to increase its top cracking potential. Of course, this was for candle making and not for tarts, so it might be worth revisiting. You also might try a little bit of pillar palm wax (not glass glow) or stearic acid to harden it somewhat. C1 already has some palm wax in it and is a little harder and less creamy than C3. You could also blend it with a small amount of Ecosoya PB, too. I think PB has a much better throw than CBA.

Just get some sample amounts, grab your lab coat and let the experimenting begin. :D

I haven't made tarts for a while now, but I do believe I have the Ecosoya pb and with 1 oz per lb. they were excellent tarts. I did add 1 oz 6006 to it for some reason (probably because I can't leave anything alone). The few I made and jarred for sale ended up selling quite well.

Picked up the C3 and some Saelic Acid today! I poured some testers in a silicone ice cube tray. I did plain C3, 1%, 2%, 4%, 6%, & 8%. Even the basic C3 popped out nice (I think the fact that it frosted lots helped that). I think I'm leaning toward the 4% or the 6% though. I colored them green and threw my spring blend in. I was planning on playing with beeswax too, but it doesn't look like that will be necessary. They smell really good so far, but obviously need time to sit before I can get them into a burner.

I read everything I could and followed the most detaled instructions I could find, which meant I heated the wax to 180, took it off the burner and stirred until it reached 150 and poured. Definate frosting on all of them so I'll have to figure out what to do about that.

But it seems like a sucessful experiment and I'm glad I went ahead and did it. More playing in my future!

Threw the one with 8% SA in the warmer and it melted and has filled the room with scent. The cold throw was great & the hot throw is about average, which I'm taking as good considering it only had 24hrs cure and was only a 5% fragrance load.

So everything is working wonderfully, except for the lovely powder coating. So far the wax is everything I hoped it would be. Next stop seeing if coconut oil makes it better. . . . oh yea and testing to see if there's a level of SA that seems best. So far so good. Thanks everyone!

except for the lovely powder coating

Little tarts cool VERY quickly. It helps to slow 'em down a little so they cool more evenly. Pay attention to how to pour C3 and the techniques used to prevent frosting. Some FOs and/or dyes will frost worse than others. :)

OK cool! I can try the warmed oven like I do with my palm candles!

Basically I found the supplier website that had the most details on how to work with the wax and tried to go with it. I so have no clue what I'm doing. I'm glad I finally found your thread on chocolate so I know what all of the stirring is about! So I don't really know if my pour temp is a good choice or if I should be doing something different than heating it to 180 and then stirring until it reachest 150. Trying to decipher all of the info out there is really complex. But I'm still really happy that it's the asthetics of frosting that are my biggest challenge!

There is such a thing as slowin' 'em down TOO much - just enough to allow them to cool evenly. You can also try pouring the tarts cool, too, ya know. Just play around and see what gives you the best results. :)

Glad you are pleased with the throw thus far. Got any photos yet?