How do you conduct your FO/wax testing?

AlwaysWondering

I might be over analyzing this. It amazes me how so many of you know the differences in throw and strength of a particular scent but from different suppliers. Also, you know which wax/blend makes a difference with each oil.

How do you test or is this year's of experience? Do you test side by side, same oil in two different waxes and burn one day and then the next day with the next wax. What about testing throw and strength? Do you keep a score card at the one hour point, six hour point, 12 hour point, etc.? I only make tarts and only use one type of wax but now wondering if I should use another wax for some scents and do some testing.

Edited by AlwaysWondering

I've used the same wax for years. It's inconceivable to me to have different waxes for different scents. If there's a scent I think I can't live without, I might test the scent from different suppliers until I find the best one (Love Spell or Vanilla Bean Noel might be examples) but to test an oil from a single supplier in 2 or 3 different waxes just doesn't register on my comprehension scale.

I don't beat a dead horse with a single scent, either. After testing maybe 3 different suppliers, 4 at the most, if I don't get what I want in throw, I simply decide I don't need that scent as much as I thought I did. Even going that far would be extremely rare. No single scent is that important.

A few years back when wax was considerably cheaper, I did experiment with different waxes, but not with the idea of using different oils with different waxes as part of my regular routine.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding your question, my suggestion is to pick a wax and stick with it. If you're just starting out, you might have to test a few waxes to find one you like, but that's just part of starting from the beginning. If that's the case with you, pick a wax that's widely available. That way, if your supplier stops carrying it, you'll still have it available from somewhere else until you can decide what to do. With suppliers going out of business left and right, the thought of using a proprietary wax gives me the chills.

I have one wax for containers and make my own blend for melts. Like Sliver I just one depending on the application.

When testing for throw (same FO different suppliers) I use this method: http://www.candletech.com/general-information/comparing-scent-throw/

It's found in the General Info section in the Candlemaking Techniques block in the upper left corner of every page.

I think everyone on here could tell you that testing never goes away. When I first started candle making, it was all I did...even now, as I not too recently started up again, I am still testing....testing scents, testing styles, test test test.

Keep good notes.

Fragrances are truly trial and error. Suppliers offer sample sizes, making it a bit easier to compare the same scent from multiple suppliers. For example, you buy 3 different vanilla's from 3 different suppliers. You make 3 different candles (label them as to wax, wick size and amount of f.o. used and scent supplier) Then, burn em. Take notes (I have to, because I forget a lot)...is it a true scent? does it have a chemical smell? does it have a weak or strong cold throw? how long before you can smell it once it is lit? does it burn clean? You get the idea.

HTH

Over the years I have tested lots of different waxes. But the purpose is to find the right wax for the application I am making. With each wax I test out lots of FOs to find ones that throw well in them. So as long as you are making candles, votives, tarts, etc. you will still be testing your wax, FOs, containers, molds, dyes, additives, wicks, etc. It gets expensive because its an ongoing process that never stops.

Even when you have the right wax, container/mold, wick, FO, dye, etc. all tested out and its as perfected as you can make it doesn't mean it will sell. So you also have to keep up with new scents, reformulations, and the scent trends that come out each season and every year. And thats just the FOs. You also have to contend with reformulated waxes, discontinued waxes, suppliers closing or selling their biz, a whole 'nuther list of variables that keep you on your toes. So you do tend to end up with lots of experience using different waxes and FOs. How well you do with it is up to you.

I make index cards for fragrances I am testing with all the pertinent data printed on them for me to fill in the blanks. I test in one palm wax and in one soy wax (I use several different types of both). If it doesn't throw well in both of them, I give it the thumbs down UNLESS I really, really liked it or needed it for a project; then I'd only use it in the wax type in which it worked well. I'm pretty brutal when it comes to futzing around with FOs and trying to MAKE them work in my candle systems... There're so many FOs out there to try, I can't see spending much time on one that doesn't impress me. I DO make sure I cure the candles before testing, especially if the FO is a complex or subtle one.

You also have to contend with reformulated waxes, discontinued waxes, suppliers closing or selling their biz, a whole 'nuther list of variables that keep you on your toes.
I SOOOOO agree! It really bites when one of my favorites gets FUBARed, discontinued, etc. Scent is so important to customers, especially ones with strong favorites. The ones who are "gone" over a particular fragrance will detect even the most minute change! Then the wailing begins... :undecided Edited by Stella1952