Sweaty soap

Miadrianel Candles

I've been making soap for over a year now and recently changed lye suppliers. But recently as soon as I started using the new lye my soaps have started developing some kind of a wetness on top when I get them out of the molds. If you cut that part they seems to be fine and the rest of the soap is fine and looks ok. The reason I'm asking is because this had never happened to me before. Any suggestions?

Dan

That is strange tho, do you cover with saran or have you changed how you wrap the soap if you gel? I use d to get sweat if the soap gets hotter than I thought it wouldand I had used saran on top, I check it once or twice while it is heating up and take a layer off it appears to be getting really hot. I use a thin cloth ( like a j-cloth instead of saran) it lets the heat escape and I don't get sweaty soap anymore.

HTH

Yes my soap gel.

I use a wooden box type mold I do not further insulate I do put a lid on top not secured just covering the top everything is made out of wood.

Yeah I mean if there was anything wrong with the lye probably the rest of the soap would not come out ok.

I just find it odd that as soon as I changed the lye this started. I have been doing everything the same, using the same recipe and all. Not sure how to fix it.

Maybe a clue into what goes on let me say that tops stay like if they were gelled. You know that translucent color you get when soap is gelled well it pretty much stays like that and it seeps some liquid. Will try and change water content an see I have always used water at %30.

Dan