Questions: Home Partayyyy!!

sbs

Hi. I will be having my first home party the end of next month and have a few questions... I'm open to any suggestions PLEASE :confused:

- What exactly is "cash and carry"? I know the items are pre-made and ready to sell but are they priced the same as the candles on my site or discounted since they are not poured fresh?

- How long should my presentation last without getting too boring?

- Is it a good idea or bad one to have alcohol like wine or cocktails?

- Reading through the forum I learned that some people aren't too fond of games but is just one ok? I like them and think they are awesome icebreakers. But if I'm the only one then I guess it's really no point in having any.:laugh2:

Anymore tips?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cash and carry is that you are not taking orders or having sell able product available and it should never be discounted.

Most of the home parties I did was all cash and carry I took very few orders. People seemed to like to walk away with what they buy plus not having to pay for shipping.

Games are okay if you are into doing them but I never was. I do not have problems breaking the ice mainly because talking is something I am very good at.

Some of my best parties had wine and beer available but that really depends on your hostess let her decide to offer or not offer alcohol

Thank you Vicky!! All useful info! This will be my first party and I will be my own host so liquor it is!:laugh2:I do hope to book parties for others though and in that case I wouldn't expect anything from the hostess besides guests. Thank you for replying! I'm excited>:yay:

I do no formal presentations, I simply set up my products, have testers, let people test and sniff and hang out.

No orders, they buy from the stock I have already made up. Everyone preferred it that way.

No games, everyone hates games (at least the girls at my home parties always said they did), they were all very relieved that there were no games. I did draw a random name, and that person won a little basket of freebies.

Tipsy people spend money more freely. ;)

Thanks for the tips Jenn! Maybe I'll do a 5 minute presentation about the benefits of soy and lay my pricing out... or maybe just have that all on paper with the clipboards I plan set up. Hmmm... would be SO great to not have to talk at ALL.. I HATE public speaking.. hence the wine. LOL..

Something to think about...

I also like the idea of a drawing. Thanks!!! :thumbsup:

I'd be careful about the alcohol. If someone gets tipsy and in a wreck, you could be held responsible.

Well hopefully they are responsible enough to bring a driver if they plan on drinking that much or can't hold their wine. That actually makes no sense to me. Bars and liqour stores aren't held responsible. Clubs or "wine tastings" either... restaurants, etc...

If anything I would feel extremely guilty but I don't see why I'd be responsible. Eh oh well..

Thanks for the comment.:cheesy2:

Just a little FYI.

I did a search and depending on what state you live in..yes bars and restaurants CAN be held liable/sued if a patron leaves their establishment and is involved in an accident. I don't know if it's the same for individuals leaving someone's home where alcohol is served.

http://www.dreamindemon.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-30983.html

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/crime-scene/montgomery/moco-bar-sued-after-patron-cra.html

Back in our younger days when we could party hardy...lol...our friends were having a big party. One of the guests got so drunk that he had to crawl up the basement stairs...across the rooms to the front door...and then crawled out to their car. His wife...thank God she wasn't much of a drinker...DID drive home. Now...this guy is still a good friend of ours and is retired now...but he WAS a chief of police at the time. If HE would have had to drive home in that condition and was involved in an accident...I don't know if the friends who had the party could have been held responsible or not. I live in PA and now I am curious about this. I know that if an underage kid serves alcohol to his underage friends at his parent's home and something happens...the parents can be held resposible for it even if they were not home at the time.

Hopefully no one at your candle party would get themselves in that condition.

"In most states, neither the club nor the individual host can be liable for serving alcohol to adults, but might be liable for serving to minors. Never serve alcohol to minors, and do not encourage drunk adults to drink more."

I read that I could possibly be held liable if an accident occurred that resulted in death. But that's a small possibility.

So yes, hopefully that would not be the case at my party...:sad2:

I'm in Georgia now but I'm from California. In 2005, a California bar allowed my child's father to leave with a drunk couple of people. They got in an accident which resulted in his death. 6 years later and nobody has been held responsible. Sooo.. not so sure how strict laws really are with enforcing this rule.

And just to note.. I only planned on serving a glass of wine. Actually I read that if you serve it you can be liable too but if they help themselves you're not. So I'll let them help themselves I guess...:shocked2:

Now this is a bit frustrating ... Maybe I'll just keep it all for myself! LOL..

Edited by sbs

My friend is a bartender and YES bars and restaurants are held accountable for serving people past their limit. They are gererally cautious and cut people off early. However, I do not think that such a thing pertains to you serving some wine at a home party. I do not see what the big deal is.

My friend is a bartender and YES bars and restaurants are held accountable for serving people past their limit. They are gererally cautious and cut people off early. However, I do not think that such a thing pertains to you serving some wine at a home party. I do not see what the big deal is.

Just curious.. how is the bartender really supposed to know someone's personal limit. If you mean by the time they are already drunk then that's too late. I mean I know someone personally who DIED as a result of people going past their limit in a bar and nothing was done about it. I'm sure it's put in their heads that "you will be held accountable if blah blah blah happens".. but maybe its not strictly enforced.

Now I'm off-topic from the home party but it's an interesting conversation nonetheless.

Thanks for commenting Noodle!:smiley2:

Just curious.. how is the bartender really supposed to know someone's personal limit. If you mean by the time they are already drunk then that's too late.

I couldn't answer that since I am not a bartender. I do know that my friend specifically keeps track of exactly what she serves to every single person until he or she leaves. (She works the bar at Romano's Marcaroni Grill.) She is not responsible for the people who drink in the restaurant. Others are responsible for that. But she is responsible for everyone that sits at the bar and drinks. There are also workers who are there to watch the behavior of drinkers. There are a ton of lawsuits do to drunk driving.

Just to let you know, I am in New Jersey. We have very strict laws here. Minors can sue any bar for being served underage. In fact, many signs say IF YOU DO NOT LOOK THIRTY, YOU WILL BE CARDED. Most places card every single person- even if you look sixty.

Edited by Noodle

Back in the day when I did home parties, I didnt make a formal presentation but I did go over the sizes and prices of each candle. I gave a brief bio of myself and my business.

I would definitely play games otherwise it can get kinda boring. I love playing games at home parties. Make sure the prizes you give out for the games are your actual candles. Nobody wants dollar store prizes at a candle home party.

And yes, serve them some wine. Women mixed with wine means more money spent. In my experience anyway :)

The home party that I had in December, I made as an open house. So I had my doors open for 3 hours in the afternoon and people could stop by and browse during those hours. I had refreshments and plenty of cash and carry product. It was a last minute thing so I didn't expect much out of it, but I got about $100 worth of sales from it (mostly family).

My next show is in April. I have a couple months to plan and prepare for the show. I'm not sure I want to do an open house or more of a demonstration/home party. An open house is nice but you tend to repeat yourself all afternoon to everyone who walks in. At a home party it's a little different because they would have a specific time to be there and you can welcome everyone at the same time and give information about your products.

At my first open house I gave everyone a small votive as a free gift. I plan on doing give aways again for the show in April.

have fun!

my guidelines:

NO GAMES. Most poeple hate them. Some like them, yes.. but 99% of the people I've asked have said NO and thanked me for not doing them. I think they are a waste of precious time.

Presentations... eh.. I wouldnt call them that, but I dont think they are bad. What I do is set all my product up, and we go through it. I have testers, I pass it around- have them smell it, try it, give them maybe 1 minute (maybe) on what the benefits are and such... then on to the next. We get through everything in about 9 minutes most times, and then I just let them browse as I walk around answering questions. I do take orders sometimes, sometimes someone loves a scent in a candle I dont have in body butter, or finds a soap they love and they want a whole loaf- not taking orders would screw me in those cases so I make sure I'm very clear that I can make custom orders.

Then, people purchase from the stock thats there.

I DO think its OK to have drinks. I dont think anyone would be so rude to get trashed at an event like that, but if you are concerned about it I think a good idea would be OK to pour for them. Dont keep it "in reach" just offer A glass of wine.. so on and so forth, but remember all that comes out of your bottom line... two bottles of $20 wine, a $40 array of food.. thats $80 you've spent.

Edited by LuminousBoutique

but remember all that comes out of your bottom line... two bottles of $20 wine, a $40 array of food.. thats $80 you've spent.

Wow.. That's a good point. I didn't even think of it profit wise because I was too busy thinking about how to get people to show up! Lol.. My friends are kinda flaky. But cutting into my profit? Now that's something to think about.. thank you!

I've only had 3 parties and my Host's provided the snacks and wine. I guess I'm lucky, I know them personally so I guess that is why.

No games, No presentation ( I am terrible at public speaking).

It was basically cash n carry, except for a few that wanted some of my items that I ran out of at the party.

No one got trashed it was a open house from 1-5. I gave my Hostesses a 3 wicked giant container candle scent of their choice as a thank you. The girls who have hosted the parties like these types of parties and do them as a social events.

It was definetly worth my time to do them, at 2 of them I made more in one day than I do in a week at my day job. But I am not naive enough to think that would be the case everytime. I wish I could pull my act together to atleast do one a month, that would sure help my FO addiction. lol

Yes kyme1911! I like your idea of an open house.. I guess I wanted to provide wine to also get people to show up to book parties but whose good at making those type of decisions while tipsy? I am definitely rethinking the alcohol thing. An open house sounds very doable once a month. Thanks for the tips!

I got so involved with the alcohol that I didn't mention what I do. I used to hold 2 open houses a year. I stopped the one in the spring because after the first few years over 1/2 of the people I invited didn't come. And I will not post a flyer anywhere so the public can come. I've seen people putting them up on posts in their yards and I think to myself...you could just be inviting trouble because you have NO clue who these people are and what their real intentions COULD be.

Anyway...I used to set up with my Mary Kay rep at her home at the beginning of December...Saturday and Sunday. She also had Tastefully Simple, Weekender Clothing and one year a lady who made jewelry. I did that for 4 years and then decided I was tired of lugging all of my display and products to her house...and she is really bossy so although it was MY business...she couldn't keep her nose out of everything I was doing. Constantly saying...you should do this and that. Sooooooooo..........I have had it at my house for 3 years and have done so much better sales wise. My regular customers told me they feel more comfortable coming to my house...Joyce is a high pressure sales person. And you have to WANT to use Mary Kay products...you just don't decide while you are there browsing...hey I want to spend over $100. on skin care/make up today.

On Saturday I am open from 10-3 and Sunday 11-3. I have candles displayed in my dining room and then 3 tables in my living room. Dining room is only the candles that I am selling at regular price...and then I do have a "3 for" price on those. In the living room are discounted candles...on the invitation I say something like...Gotta Move These Out Sale. Everyone gets a free flowerpot votive for coming. I have the prices on the round orange stickers on the sale candles. What I also do is tell customers that if they spend over $50. they can pick one of the lowest priced sale candles for free. From doing that I have had a few people love the scent that they got for free...call and ask me to pour 2 or 3 regular priced candles in that fragrance.

My daughter and 17 year old grandaughter LOVE to cook and bake. Daughter took Culinary Arts in school and my grandaughter is now. So we do splurge on food. Heck...I have people wanting recipes too. My husband said I should start charging for those...lol.

My 2009 open house was the best one...before expenses I was a little shy of $1,000. IMO...not bad for being open for 9 hours. Of course I have to subtract cost of food and what it costs me to make the candles and then the cost to make the free gifts. But...overall I am really pleased with the outcome of them.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

On Saturday I am open from 10-3 and Sunday 11-3.

Thanks Maggie! So how often do you hold these open houses? I did think about collaborating with my friend who is a Mary Kay rep and another friend who is a passion party consultant but now it doesn't sound like a good idea. I was skeptical anyway because I do want ALL ATTENTION on my candles Lol.. Maybe I'll try it once and see how it goes though.

I do like the idea of these open houses more and more. But do any of you who have them notice less people actually show up because they don't have a set time... just a time frame which could slip their mind?