Ecosoya PB & Max FO retention

Hi all,

I am beginning to work with Ecosoya PB wax...so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

I bought my wax from CS. On their website it says this wax has a maximum FO retention of 6%. But on the Ecosoya Website it says that this wax has the ability to hold up to 12% FO.

Why would there be such a discrepancy? Is 6% the most the wax can hold for a pillar candle but if you are making tarts it can hold up to 12%?

Just curious. Any input would be enlightening.

Thanks!

Traveler

The only thing I can say is that while testing soy blends for tarts, I had no problems with 100% PB holding 9% FO load. This was just with one FO I tested, so can't say what other FO's might do in the PB. I still have several of the straight PB tarts still sitting here and after 2 months there is no FO sweating or leakage. As far as the difference between the 2 sites...can't offer anything, sorry.

Cheers,

Steve

I use 1 oz. PP or less in PB (or any other veggie wax) for candles. I want to use the least amount of FO possible to get the throw results I am seeking.

I have three major reasons for this:

I don't want to use more than that because of materials cost. If a FO or wax won't work with that percentage, then I either don't use the wax or I don't use that FO.

FO is a common villain in promoting frosting and other texture-related issues. Soy wax doesn't need any extra help to misbehave...

FO's can cause burn issues at higher concentrations - fouling the wick, sooting of the wax and/or container, sputtering and dancing flame, etc.

As for the discrepancy in recommended FO load between CS & Ecosoya - the project or purpose for which the wax is being used matters a lot. Just because a wax can hold a higher percentage (under certain circumstances) doesn't mean I want to use that much FO to get a decent throw from my CANDLES. For soy wax projects OTHER than candles (tarts, firestarters, wax ornies, hurricanes, car fresheners, etc.), I might want to add more if I don't have to worry about texture or burn issues.

HTH :D

I still have some Ecosoya PB leftover from when I used to use it for pillars and tarts. I loved the hot throw from it. Never used more FO than 1 oz per lb because never needed to. Like Stella says I don't bother with using more FO as its not economical nor necessary. If a FO doesn't work I move on to another. Trust me NGI waxes frost like any other soy waxes on the market so using more FO is also counterproductive.

I also use that wax for tarts, with most of my fragrances at 9%. However, 9% of CS's Hansel and Gretel blew everyone in my husband's office away, so I cut back to 6%. I love CS because all the FO's I've tried from there work well for me at 6% in candles. They probably would be fine at that level for tarts too, but I'd have to test.

Naomi