Which tempering method is better?

I've been reading up on how to temper wax (and chocolate) and it seems most people do it one of two ways. For those of you who temper your wax which has worked best for you?

1) Heating the entire amount of wax to a predetermined temperature, adding FO and or dye, removing the mixture from heat and letting it cool and then reheating and pouring

or

2) Seeding - heating a partial amount of wax to a predetermined temperature, removing it from heat and adding in the remainder of the wax to help cool it down then reheating the entire mixture and pouring.

I know the steps are a little more involved than that but I just wanted to see which method most of you use and why? I know it's supposed to help with frosting but do you also find it helps create smoother tops and/or glass adhesion? Are there other benefits as well?

Thank you!

lol, Don't worry, SD. None of the old timers who have long time customers bother with stuff that just plain doesn't matter.

Interesting response to a very legit question. :(

To the original poster,

I am not sure exactly, although I have personal 'tempered' using the first method you mentioned.

I've been reading up on how to temper wax (and chocolate) and it seems most people do it one of two ways. For those of you who temper your wax which has worked best for you?

1) Heating the entire amount of wax to a predetermined temperature, adding FO and or dye, removing the mixture from heat and letting it cool and then reheating and pouring

or

2) Seeding - heating a partial amount of wax to a predetermined temperature, removing it from heat and adding in the remainder of the wax to help cool it down then reheating the entire mixture and pouring.

I know the steps are a little more involved than that but I just wanted to see which method most of you use and why? I know it's supposed to help with frosting but do you also find it helps create smoother tops and/or glass adhesion? Are there other benefits as well?

Thank you!

I've noted smoother tops on my paraffin votives using the method I mentioned.

Thanks Bella!

Sliver, if you don't have anything constructive to add to the thread, why post at all? Since you obviously don't temper your wax would you please save the space in this thread to those who do and would like to reply with relevant content?

Do you really want to talk about a waste of thread space???????????

classiccandle user_online.gif

Wax Drip

icon1.gifRe: Please take a look

A few more quirky reasons a candle may not have hot throw:

1) It rained instead of snowed

2) You got 6 hours of sleep instead of 6 1/2

3) The sun rose at 5:45am instead of 5:53am

4) You lit the candle at 9:00am instead of 9:19am

5) You forgot to brush your teeth last night before going to bed

6) The mail ran late

LOL!

Thanks Carol. I'm curious though, and please don't take this the wrong way, if you've never tempered how do you know it's a waste of time? Is it based on what you've researched? Again, the question isn't meant to be offensive.

Experience. I've been making candles with gb415 for a long time now & good ole trial & error is what gives me the knowledge to say it's BS.

Touche Pam! I usually don't get involved in sniping, regardless of whatever forum I'm on, and have no explanation of why I did this time. My apologies to Sliver and anyone else who may have been offended by my remark.

As one of the few males on a board dominated by women I'm quickly learning to grow a thicker skin! *hiding*

Touche Pam! I usually don't get involved in sniping, regardless of whatever forum I'm on, and have no explanation of why I did this time. My apologies to Sliver and anyone else who may have been offended by my remark.

As one of the few males on a board dominated by women I'm quickly learning to grow a thicker skin! *hiding*

It's not a woman thing. It's a "I have nothing better to do than try to look important" thing.

Your apology is accepted; however, I wasn't offended. I laughed out loud.

It's not a woman thing. It's a "I have nothing better to do than try to look important" thing.

Your apology is accepted; however, I wasn't offended. I laughed out loud.

I'm also getting a good chuckle out of the Newbies talking down to the very people that they want info from.

I'd truly like to help but I misplaced my spoon.:sad2:

I'm also getting a good chuckle out of the Newbies talking down to the very people that they want info from.

I'd truly like to help but I misplaced my spoon.:sad2:

Indeed.

Newbies often have the mistaken notion that high post count equates to knowledge and experience.

Not so much.