GB 464 Wax discoloring and wet spots?

Hello,

I just received a box of wax from Natures Garden and made a small batch of candles using Tureen Jars. I melted the wax until it reached the temperatures 170 degrees, put in 1/8 teaspoon of UV, dye, and fragrance oil at the same temperature. And I poured the candles at 150 degrees. Smooth tops etc.. I have used this wax before but not from Nature's Garden.

I am beginning to see wet spots all over the sides of the candle and color fading at the bottom of the Tureen Jars. I'm also using natural HEMP wicks. The scent is not a problem, it is just the appearance. This is the only problem I am having, but the candles are smooth and smell great. It is strange, because my other candles I made with gb 464 never had this problem. Could anyone provide any tips on how to fix this problem? What do you do to prevent wet spots? :confused:

post-12847-139458476787_thumb.jpg

post-12847-139458476789_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kristin2011

Classic case of "frosting." Read up on how to reduce frosting in your wax. Could be exacerbated by the FO used, the way the candle was cooled, etc. How muuch FO? What kind & how much dye?

"Wet spots" are areas of no-adhesion of the wax to the sides of the container. You didn't show any photos of the sides, so I don't know if your candle has wet spots or if you are referring to the circular frosting patterns on the surface. If you are referring to the surface, that's not "wet spots" - it's frosting.

If the FO you used is a new one or if you poured or cooled differently and/or at different temps than in the past, I'd look at those variables first.

BTW, what did you use to stick down the wicktabs? I can already see wax seeping under one, which will allow wax to be sucked into the wick from underneath. This will allow that wick to continue burning even after the wax level has dropped below the neck of the wicktab. If the wick is not stuck down securely, the wicks can "wander" once the wax becomes very soft or liquid at the bottom - very dangerous, especially in a double wicked container.

Edited by Stella1952

I don't have alot of experience with soy containers, have only been testing for a couple months. The only tip I have is try pouring hotter. I included a pic of two jellies. They are a blend, but the straight 464 I did was similiar, just don't have a pic handy. Everything was identical other than the pour temp. These were photographed 3 days after pouring, and are now about 1 1/2 months old and have same appearance other than there is more frosting on the cool pour candle.

HTH,

Steve

post-12326-139458476796_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Stella 1952: I really love your concern about safe candle design & all your important safety tips. Thank you! I had no idea candles could become dangerous torches until I started reading here. Many times I've slept all night with candles burning, how ignorant of me! But, you're right that customers can't be trusted to burn candles safely.

HorsescentS, I gotta admit - I'm one of those customers who can't be trusted, too! :embarasse I TRY to be mindful and extinguish them before bedtime or wandering off into another room, but sometimes I mess up. I try to engineer my candles so that I don't burn my own dang house down! I occasionally fall asleep with a candle lit, so I usually burn mine (even container candles) inside a hurricane with sand in the bottom ... just in case. It also helps keep the cats from catching on fire. :shocked2:

YIKES!!

Extinguishing_fire.gif

Glad you came out of that experience okay! That's a very GOOD EXAMPLE of why folks shouldn't pour into used glassware and should TEST their candles!! All glass is not created equal nor suitable for candlemaking. Used glassware may have been thermally stressed or bumped. The stresses don't show, but they exist in the glassware and can cause an unhappy event when heat is applied.

Even after I have the wicking dialed in, I do a powerburn torture test just to see what'll happen if someone lights one of my candles and lets it burn to the bitter end with no maintenance (wick trimming, etc.).

I started doing the hurricane thing for test burning palm wax pillars, but realized that it was great for burning containers, too! They come in so many pleasing shapes and sizes one can use them for sheltering little votives all the way up to 6" pillars. :)

Stella1952: Oh my gosh, I love the firetruck! lol It drives the point home!

I think it was a new mayo jar that people buy by the case for canning purposes, but they should realize that new mayo jars were not designed to handle high-temperature liquids like jelly jars & other canning jars.

It's amazing that soooo many churches have racks of votive candles burning 24/7, & hurricanes too, but they don't burn down.