Question about lye water in CP

rebeccajo99

I'm wanting to make my first batch of CP soon. I've been scared to try because of the lye water sitting around. Since I now have a lock on my work room door, I feel more comfortable having it sit out to cool. But, during my research on doing CP, I have not found an answer to my question.

Do I have a time limit on how long lye water can sit out before going bad? I was going to make it up in the morning before my kids wake up (around 6 am) and than soap in the afternoon (around 2:30 pm)... however, if my youngest does not fall asleep during quiet time, I don't trust him enough to leave me alone so I can soap. (he is only 2, so I cannot expect him to:wink2:) Will it be OK to sit out and wait until my husband gets home and soap after dinner (around 7/8 pm) or the next morning before my kids wake up again?

I don't want to make up a lye solution and have to throw it out. If it will go bad, then I will just have to wait to try CP until they are both in school or when my husband will be home all day.

Thanks in advance

its totally fine, I used to let my lye water sit out all night. If it freezes, you have to let it come back to room temp- but lots of people let it cool all day.

Personally, I just use it right away. Cold/room temp oils, and lye water thats cooled 10-15 minutes. You can also freeze distilled water and use ice cubes as half the water, that cools it too.

I totally advocate safety but just FYI I soap around my toddlers all the time :) I do baby gate them out of my work room (they can knock it down but wont) I just let them know mommy is doing "danger stuff" and they need to let me work.. sometimes they leave me alone, sometimes they dont, but they dont come in the room after letting them know its danger, burn, ouch.. so on so forth. Its hard hard hard trying to get it all figured out with kids, enough to drive you batty, but you can do it!!

have fun!!!

Thanks. My 3 year old I soap "around" all the time. I tell him that mommy is closing her door for a little while and he asks "to do the danger stuff?" So he understands and will leave me alone. Its funny because when I open the door, he is sitting right by it so he can climb up in my chair so he can tell me when the soap is starting to rise in the crock pot. It is really cute.

However, my 2 year old you cannot trust him worth anything. You tell him to not touch and he will touch, (has touched stuff on the hot stove, put his hand in a warm oven) I have locked him out of the room and he will sit there an bang on it until you open it. I would feel like I am being rushed and I don't want to be for the first few times doing it. It was nice when he took his 3 hour afternoon naps, but I'm lucky if I get 30 min ones now. :cry2:

Thanks for all of the great help. Just need to read a little more, figure out what scent to do and just do it. You all comforted one of my biggest fears.

Sometimes it's best to not scent your first batch so you can get a good idea of how the whole saponification process works. Some fo's can cause your oils to trace really face causing one to panic if they aren't familiar with the whole soaping process. I always tell first time soapers to make a batch w/out color and fragrance.

Sometimes it's best to not scent your first batch so you can get a good idea of how the whole saponification process works. Some fo's can cause your oils to trace really face causing one to panic if they aren't familiar with the whole soaping process. I always tell first time soapers to make a batch w/out color and fragrance.

I did think about that Texas, but I have been doing hot process, which is why I decided to try it with scent. I love doing hot process, but I want to try some of the cool swirl and designs that I just cannot do in hot process.