Ugly Candle :(

candlepic7.html

I don't have a picture of what it looked like after burning it, but it was pretty bad. We burnt it one time for about 3.5 hours. After the second burn, it wasn't quite as bad. We used 3x Eco12 wicks. the candle picture can be found at http://www.northwoodcandlecompany.com/Candle_Photos/candlepic7.html

Edited by northwoodcandlecompany
picture didn't load.

I was aware that soy wix will pit, and the original candle we made and tested didn't do this - at least not to the extent the 2nd one did. We have found that the larger candles tend to do this more, but haven't really had a problem with it until this one. We tried this morning with smaller wicks to see if that will help. Also, the first test candle we made was only burnt for a shorter time, which may have something to do with it? Yes, we got it listed after only testing one candle :/ Having the product pulled off the site until we can get more consistent results.

I have the same concern Stella has.... lack of testing on products listed on websites or sold at shows. Unfortuantely, happens all the time... websites are built,shows are booked and products sold, before they are ever made,poured or tested.

Soy pits for many, many reasons. Wick sizes, various fragrances, dye color, type of dye, various types of wicks,, etc. Just as it frosts for many many reasons... pouring temp, storage temps, hot, cold, dyes.. etc.

If your just learning about the pitting in soy,,, I'd say you probably need to do alot more testing....I've poured soy for 10 years,,and never sold a candle or wax product until every container size and shape that I wanted to market, had been tested in every color and every fragrance I wanted to sell.

In response to the selling of the poor candle.. If we are here im assuming to sell soy candles. I was under the impression that when burned and then cooled. Soy candles ( i use gb464) will always have a type of ugly rough top because its in the nature of the soy. Any one have anything to add onto this?

Wow - that was weird - I had just typed a reply and the window blinked three times and ate the whole thing! :shocked2: ANYWAY...

I was under the impression that when burned and then cooled. Soy candles ( i use gb464) will always have a type of ugly rough top because its in the nature of the soy. Any one have anything to add onto this?
Yep, I do. There is no reason to settle for crappy cottage cheese tops with the selection of waxes we have today and the amount of technical knowledge and tips people have shared. I use NatureWax C3 and have nice, smooth tops all the way to the end of the candle. Its formula is reported to be quite similar to GB 464. Other waxes contain "botanical oils," (cottonseed oil, coconut oil, palm oil, etc.) which help smooth the consistency and stabilize the crystal structure of soy wax. Certain FOs can still mess up even the best wax, but most are compatible with soy wax these days. Some dyes can still encourage frosting, but many dyes are far kinder to soy wax than even 5 years ago. Pretty much, only the "100%" soy waxes (EZ Soy, GB 415, etc.) still have bedhead on a regular basis. Manufacturers and candlemakers have worked hard to learn how to stabilize the appearance of soy wax. There's a lot of information about how to do this in the threads, so if the tops on your candles look like cottage cheese after they are burned, do some studying and you may learn how to get better results. No one has to settle for the "it's the nature of soy wax" excuse these days. HTH :)

Your solution to not having the rough top was to switch waxes. So if we don't want rough tops, we have to use wax with additives? ... If i were hell bent on having 100% pure soy wax or using GB 464.

You misunderstood what I wrote. You don't have to switch waxes nor did I say that you did. The OP is using 464. You are using 464. You stated that "soy candles will always have a type of ugly rough top because its in the nature of the soy." I disagreed, especially because 464 contains additives to enhance the appearance and performance of the wax.

From the Golden Brands website product description of GW464:

"Golden Wax has two blended waxes that contain a soy-based additive and are both natural and kosher. This soy-based additive enables the soy to be poured at a hotter temperature reducing frosting and increasing FO load."

If YOUR 464 soy candles always have an "ugly rough top," perhaps there is something about the FOs you are using, or the dyes or the way you are making them that is causing this issue. Study and test to learn why.

Soy pits for many, many reasons. Wick sizes, various fragrances, dye color, type of dye, various types of wicks,, etc. Just as it frosts for many many reasons... pouring temp, storage temps, hot, cold, dyes.. etc.

I agree. When one tests and discovers which variables are causing their candles to have a bad appearance, they can correct the situation and make candles that don't look like cottage cheese.

Oh alright.. I supposed the reason that I assumed you were implying that a switch was necessary was because you offered a alternative wax and some other interesting facts but didn't really elaborate on the 464's "moon cratering". It seems that the 464 has a lot of threads with this problem as well.....