Perfect size bar

kyme1911

Ok, so what is your perfect size bar? Weight, height, width and thickness? I am hoping to buy a wire cutter and I want the 1 1/4'' thickness but was wondering what others like. My bars are usually 3 7/8" wide x 3" tall and about 1 1/4" thick. What is your favorite?

My bars are 3.5 wide, 2.5-3.25 tall, and 1" (it comes out a bit past 1") wide. Totally depends on the bar how tall they are, my milled or hot process soaps are taller, CP is usually more like 2.75. I cut them at 1", plus the thickness of my knife, which leaves me with a 4.5-5oz bar depending on the height. I had my husband build me log molds to that size specification so I could get 11 bars and two ends, or 12 bars (two with "rough ends" per batch, and so that the soaps would fit in soap boxes. I'm planning on ditching the boxes (un-needed expense..).. but I like the size still. Its not too big for small hands (like mine!) or too small for people who like a slightly larger bar.

I have used Kristy's new mold, which makes 4 bars (I'm using up all my 1oz testers on it!!) and that makes 2.5x3.5x1.25 bars once they are trimmed up. I like the slightly thicker bar, I must admit! But my cutter only cuts at .5" incriments.

Edited by LuminousBoutique

What cutter are you getting? I have wanted one for a long time too. Then I was in Macy's and LUSH just has big chuncks. Now THAT looks uncomfortable to use. Anybody ever use LUSH?

Edited by Dana

My DH made me a cutter like Cumberland Acoustic has it is a single cutter so you can cut the size you want.

http://www.cumberlandacoustic.com/id9.html

It is the cutter on the left the Single cutter

Barbara AL

Thank you, That is so great that your husband was able to make you one of those. I like the Multi cutter, I emailed them to find out if I can get it in a 1.25" bar width. :)

If you are serious about making soap, consider the Tank from For Craft's Sake.

If you don't want the expense and don't mind having soap that is slightly different sizes, I have seen a cheese cutter used. One of the ones with a single wire attached to a cutting board.

If you are serious about making soap, consider the Tank from For Craft's Sake.

If you don't want the expense and don't mind having soap that is slightly different sizes, I have seen a cheese cutter used. One of the ones with a single wire attached to a cutting board.

Thanks I was on there earlier and found one that I really like but only if I can get it in a 1.25" thick bar. They have some real nice ones, I especially like this one. The Quick Cut one.

http://www.forcraftssake.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7_9

:cheesy2: I've been using the same bread slicer for 20 years...

3558934684_c603450fc6.jpg

(thats not mine but looks just like it)

I know it would save me time to get a tank.. but it only takes me 3-4 minutes to cut a whole batch of soap with it and we've come a long way together... :laugh2:

sometimes fast isnt always better ;)

Wow that's cool, never even seen one of those before...

I'm not into expensive, I just want a wire cutter. If I could con my Step Dad into welding the frame for the one I want, I would be happy with homemade.:)

I have this one http://www.forcraftssake.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_9&products_id=24 and I like that it cuts quickly, unform, and easily but, my favorite mold is too long and I have smashed a log or two by forgetting. Dealing with the length of that mold makes it take too long. I want The Tank!

This is the one I want, my log mold is 14" long. But I will have to pay the custom charge to make it cut 1.25" bars.

how are you cutting now? If you are fighting with a miter box and a knife, trying to get up over your soap so you can cut straight down and still struggling to get a straight bar....then you will notice a WORLD of difference and a specialty charge will be worth it. All you have to do it touch your strings, give a tighten (if needed) place log and pull down, and you are done! with the entire log in one motion! bevel or leave ends (very nice clean lines)

how much is the specialty cost? keep in mind all the work that goes into changing the cutter that much and figure if you were the maker would you consider that fair to re-do all that work for one product. (that is how I would justify it)

how are you cutting now? If you are fighting with a miter box and a knife, trying to get up over your soap so you can cut straight down and still struggling to get a straight bar....then you will notice a WORLD of difference and a specialty charge will be worth it. All you have to do it touch your strings, give a tighten (if needed) place log and pull down, and you are done! with the entire log in one motion! bevel or leave ends (very nice clean lines)

how much is the specialty cost? keep in mind all the work that goes into changing the cutter that much and figure if you were the maker would you consider that fair to re-do all that work for one product. (that is how I would justify it)

Yeah, I have a miter box...it helps cut them more even. But all the bars I see cut with Wire looks so smooth. I even like this cutter, since it gives you the ability to adjust the thickness. Yes I will only cut one bar at a time, but cutting is my favorite part of making it...weird I know.lol

post-11142-139458476142_thumb.jpg

I have 2 tanks and love both of them. One cuts @ 1 inch and the other @ 1 1/4 inch. My molds are 18 inches long so I have a block that the excess part of the log to be cuts sits on so it won't fall to the counter when I do my first cut.

Best investment I have made throughout my soaping craze.