Elected Officials want to better understand your Soap?

SouthernGal

Did anyone else get this email from WSP? Does anyone know what is going on in Washington about Soap & Candles? She's asking for soap but the email says it's about Soap & Candle ingredients.

WSP: "Elected officials in Washington want to better understand our industry so that they do not inadvertently develop laws that hurt us.

I am preparing for a future trip to Washington with The Handcrafted Soapmakers Guild to meet with several elected officials. I would like to display and present several different bars of soap that have been produced by customers of Wholesale Supplies Plus!

If you are interested in helping me, please consider the following.

1. Donate 2-8 bars of soap that is regulated by the FDA.
  2. Make sure the bars are retail ready with correct cosmetic labels.
  3. Include any business cards you would like me to forward on your behalf. "

This sounds like an approach to help those in DC understand about the cosmetic industry that they are so willingly blind to suffocate. I never got the letter, but I know that the cosmetic act is going to be coming up yet again.

:sad2:Keep us posted. I get so caught up in school and family, and I don't follow the updates like I wish I could. You always have a great take on what the legislators are sliding through. Thanks for your input, I truly value it. :yay:

I did find this later when I googled the words differently.

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/ideafile/i/The-Safe-Cosmetics-Act-Of-2010.htm

Call me paranoid if you want to but it sounds like small businesses are taking money away from the big guys and they don't like it. I hope people in office realize the big guys may have the money to donate but us little guys make the majority of votes.

I hope people in office realize the big guys may have the money to donate but us little guys make the majority of votes.

How do you think the people in office get so rich? Of course they know. They're being paid off. They call it "lobbying", but it's really nothing but blackmail. The little guys and their pizzy little votes aren't important to them.

This is small potatoes.

How do you think the people in office get so rich? Of course they know. They're being paid off. They call it "lobbying", but it's really nothing but blackmail. The little guys and their pizzy little votes aren't important to them.

This is small potatoes.

SliverOfWax you're right but it Sucks!!! If they take us all out of the homemade market, it will also take out most of our suppliers & hurt theirs. I can't even imagine how many jobs would be loss. And they are very limited jobs out there available. I've been looking for a part- time job for 3 months now while I go to school. I haven't found nothing yet :(

Hi SouthernGal -

It sounds as if it has to do with the H.R. 5786 - the Safe Cosmetics Act, that some officials were trying to push through to regulate the entire Cosmetics industry. I gather there are concerns about ingredients causing allergic reactions, items not being properly labeled, false claims that certain cosmetics will get rid of wrinkles, certain creams and lotions will get rid of psoriasis, eczema, (when they do not) etc., fradulent labeling or lack of labeling regarding what is actually in these products, etc. All of this has raised concerns about standards of safety in the industry. This is not just aimed at small businesses. It is aimed at large corporations as well. The problem is that small businesses cannot afford a lot of the regulations being proposed...and big businesses don't want more regulation...so everyone is involved.

Anne-Marie Faiola at Brambleberry has gotten involved along with Donna Marie Coles Johnson at the Indie Beauty Network and both these women (along with many others) have been pushing to have this legislation shelved or at the very least, modified so that it does not force small business owners out of business.

(If you Google "Safe Cosmetics Act" you will find a ton of information about the act. But Donna Marie at Indie Beauty (www.indiebeautynetwork.com) has really been keeping on top of this - so if you are seeking information from a knowledgeable source, she would be someone to contact. You could also call WSP and find out more about their involvement and what they are trying to achieve. I thought movement on the Act had slowed down, but perhaps it is starting to pick up again.

I know that's not much info but it is what I have learned so far -

HTH

Traveler

Exactly, Traveler

If this were about the big companies trying to put us out to pasture, they wouldn't show up with their scientist and lawyers etc. as state by state undergoes trying to regulate or remove ingredients from cosmetics that are already regulated by the FDA and much of which occurs naturally.

WSP, EU, BB, HSMG and once upon a time SS were and are still involved with staying abreast of the SCAs that keep coming before the people on the hill. The people on the hill don't do their own research and rely on aids to get them through daily meetings etc. and informed about xyz.

Most of them didn't know that there were minerals in regular earth ... if it weren't for the above companies battling for us and joining the larger companies ... we would be SOL. None of us can afford to do what they are doing and we can't just let Estee Lauder scientists represent our voice in front of these ignorant bodies either.

Just to add, that's why it is important that people as small as we are LABEL PRODUCTS CORRECTLY and stop making the damn claims they are not qualified to make.

Edited by Scented