Just got some unusual Butter!

lsbennis

I don't know why I feel the need to say this but I just got some unusual butters at CamdenGrey.... I got Orange Butter and Red Palm Butter/oil, can't wait to see what properties that they might add to a bar of soap! :drool:

Has anyone every used these?

I havent! But I've looked at them at MMS because thats where I get my oils (its just right up the way from me..) but I've wondered about the sap value on some of them because like..

Acai butter... INCI: Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter and Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Butter and Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil and Euterpe Oleracea (Acai) Fruit

or the blueberry.. INCI: Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter and Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Butter and Simmondsia Chinensis (jojoba) Seed Oil, and Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) Fruit

coffee butter sounds like basically just soybean oil and coffee seed oil... INCI: Coffea Arabica Seed Oil (and) Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil

green tea butter.. INCI: (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil (and) Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil) and Camellia Sinensis Leaf Powder

again, soybean maybe?

and the orange.. INCI: Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil (and) Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil (and) Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Wax (and) Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil

I wish I could order like 2oz of each just to whip up and try on my skin to see about body butters.. but i wouldnt know where to start on a SAP chart for them.

I know, I would love to order a little of each, the Lavender Butter just sounds so exotic!

Here is what they said about the

Orange Butter...

Sold by weight. Orange Butter is derived from Orange Peel oil and Orange Peel Wax, specifically from the Florida area, and is obtained by cold pressing of Orange Peel followed by a full refining process. The natural oil contains Limonene, which is a very effective free radical scavenger. Orange Peel Oil has a cleansing and toning effect on skin that can improve oily skin and acne problems.

Not sure what exactly a full refining process will do to the integrity of the oil but I'm curious to try it in something.

Red Palm...Red Palm Butter: Some may call this a butter, others an oil. Its state fluctuates from solid to partially solid to fully liquid depending on the ambient temperature. This is an orange/red palm oil/butter made from the fruit of Elaeis guineensis. It is edible, wildcrafted and will provide color and emollient qualities to your toiletries. This product contains lots of natural vitamins and antioxidants, its high content of carotenoids gives the oil/butter its beautiful orange/red color. May also be used as is on the skin and hair. This oil has its own particular, faint, not unpleasant aroma.

According the CG it makes a nice orange/red color, so really would like to see if it will color the soap.

I have whipped the green tea butter and lavender butter, Lime butter and pumpkin butter. They are wonderful! I used the green tea and pumpkin butter in soap, it really didn't add to much to soap that I would do it again because of the cost.

This company has all the specs about them. Go to exotic butters section. They use to send out free samples about 3 or 4 years ago, I don't know if they still do http://www.biochemica.com/.

I have soaped Red Palm butter before about 2 years ago or so. I have pics of them somewhere. The Red Palm was actually one of my first 3 batches ever. It was a very dark yellow color. Google red palm oil soap and you will see the color. It was a nice bar...even for my 3rd batch lol.

• 4 weeks later...

I started making body butter using the green tea butter from Texas Natural. My first couple of batches came out perfect until I started trying to get creative.

I ran out of gt butter so I ordered some from Majestic Mountain because it was cheaper. I was still experimenting and every batch began separating. I used the orange butter from MM and again, it separated.

I finally tried my original recipe, the only the different was the MM green tea butter. Again, separation.

I finally smartened up and compared the oils. Texas Natural uses a palm oil base, MM uses hydrogenated vegetable oil. I assume this is the problem, but I am going to order a small amount from TN to retest.

Live and learn.