Soap Recipies how to make?

Kristin2011

I have a family member who is sensitive to many store bought soaps and would like to make my own natural organic soaps. Would anyone know where I could find a base or supplies that contains these ingredients? And detailed information on how to begin making cold press soaps?

organic oils of Olive, Palm, Coconut, Shea Butter, Kukui Oil, Neem Oil, Sodium Hydroxide

Thanks

There is no organic lye, if you read the forum here there are tons of recipes and how to`s. you just have to buy your organic oils and the lye and do a lot of research before you start making the soap. You will be spending a lot on organic oils to make soap with, it will not make 1 iota of difference to skin whether the oils are organic or not.

As kitn said, whether the oils are organic or not makes not a bit of difference once the lye saponifies them. Some will argue lye is organic. That too, is false, imo.. but no need to argue with anyone...

just know that once its soap, organic olive oil performs the same as non, and its a hell of alot cheaper.

Now, Olive oil you can get at walmart for just as cheap as getting it shipped, often. The other oils you will find at suppliers.. its best to look for suppliers in your state or area first, imo, because oils can be very expensive to ship. http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55309 click that link and you can view suppliers by state. There are some great "big" suppliers, but if you can find someone locally, you might save money in the end. For example, I shop at mms, or thesage.com, because its 30 minutes away from me. Yes I pay more for my 50lbs of coconut oil than I would elsewhere, but I dont pay shipping- so I end up saving $30.

If you are just starting out making soap, I wouldnt suggest investing in expensive oils yet. Start with a basic recipe, something you can learn on that wont cost you an arm and a leg.

Check out the tutorials on this very forum.. you can learn alot right here. http://www.craftserver.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40

this will help you learn how to build a good soap recipe, too.. http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3164

soapcalc.net is your next step.

you can play for hours on soap calc.. basically you adjust the %'s until you find a recipe with the qualities you would like. The FAQ section there is also fabulous.

My guess is your family member would do just as well with a lard, olive oil, castor bar as they would with a bar chock full of expensive oils. Often its not the oils used but the fact that most soaps on the market arent soaps at all, but detergent bars- and can be really drying.

hope this helps and good luck.. just I really really would suggest starting out with basic oils, oils you can almost always find at the grocery store or somewhere in town (cocoa butter can be found at some cooking stores, shea at the healthfood store, coconut at walmart, olive at walmart, lard at walmart, soybean, canola, castor at healthfood store...) you catch my drift. For learning purposes only, make a few batches with that and with recipes you will find here and on places like millers soaps... and THEN once you are satisfied with your skills, move on to the more "luxury" oils.

This may sound like basic common sense, but I just want to say that I think it is super important that you test this on someone other than your skin-sensitive family member. I am new at B&B, but am giving my serious test products to friends/family with skin that doesn't react to general cosmetics/soaps. Just sayin':smiley2:.