looking for suggestions/input on web page

Hi. Just recently got a web site put up for our candle business - NorthWood Candle Company and would like some feedback on the site. We can understand the layout, but we designed it - so looking for some input from an outsiders view before we decide to do much in terms of promotion. any feedback you have would be appreciated. www.NorthWoodCandleCompany.com is the site address.

Thank You!

-Brian

There are a few things that jump out at me, but the one thing I would definitely change is to have a drop down menu with the scent choices. Pretty simple to do even with paypal buttons. People would much rather click than type and you have to scroll back up to the scent choices.

Good start, but one thing you really need is more info about you. As a potential customer, all I would know is your city. Even your contact us requests my email, phone number, etc., but no phone number to call you, no email. Many people will not buy from someone they know anything about. :tiptoe:

Brian, glad to see you added contact info. You may be surprised also, now that you've added it.

I've had a website for over 10 years. In the past six months, I've had more phone in orders than I can tell you. They are all new customers. One was from a very "ritzy" social club that told me it would be a yearly order, and it was large. Don't know the reason why, but I think you will be glad you added a phone number.;)

pagirl89 - thank you for the information, I've used paypal for quite a while, but am fairly new with the 'cart' feature. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to add the html, which shouldn't be too hard.

bernadette, thanks for the follow-up

I wasn't quite sure what to expect when signing up for this forum, as it is my first experience with one, but i'm glad people actually taken to provide constructive feedback. Thank you!

Far as the nit-picky stuff... it's actually pretty tight.

I didn't go through it letter by letter like I would if you were paying me, lol... but I skimmed it pretty well and only found a few minor errors.

The text on the Candlescapes page: You've made what appears to the reader as two paragraphs out of 3 sentences. I could be extra tired right now, but it seems like a whole lot of run on sentence that you could break down a bit more.

On the Ordering Info page: The text about PayPal states, 'Orders are processed through PayPal to insure you information is kept secure.' Just need to add the 'r'.

And lastly... and probably not that big of deal and super nit-picky....

The text at the bottom of the Container Candles page: It's not the title of anything so I don't understand the capitalization of every main word. I would either cap them all (including the minor words 'and' & 'to') or only the first letter in the sentence. But that is more of a stylistic thing I suppose; so if you like it, keep it.

I love the colors.

Blazerina - Always nice to have another set of eyes. Planning on working on the small details this week and getting everything fine tuned. Thanks for taking the time to look it over. Glad you liked the colors - it was the one thing we were really unsure about and hadn't heard much about. Now, on to the marketing side of things :)

Well, someone has to do it...Why the paraffin bashing and why the false claims about soy?

Soy candles offer countless benefits to promote a healthy

lifestyle. Fact: Paraffin wax is made from left over crude oil,

straight from the 'bottom of the barrel'. When a paraffin candle

is being burned, it's constantly producing carcinogens and

other toxins known to cause cancer.

Soy wax is not only non-toxic and 100% natural, it's grown in

the USA! Soy wax is a renewable resource, supporting the

American farm industry. Soy wax retains it's strong scent, and

will burn twice as long as a standard paraffin candle.

I have to agree with Sliver on that. I went to the soy page and was appalled by what I read.

This is the same garbage that keeps getting rehashed over and over ever since soy came on the scene and is pure nonsense. A lot of it was started by soy industry reps to promote and make soy appear 'healthy' and 'natural' and to bash parrafin making it appear toxic and cancer causing ad nauseum. Now that palm wax has come on the scene I am seeing it start to go thru similar bashing.

If you intend to stay in the candle biz you need to do a lot more investigating and learn more about the pros and cons of the waxes you are claiming to know about.

Sorry but I will not get on the bandwagon of anyone promoting lies, half truth, and nonsense. This is exactly the sort of thing that brings down all candlemakers and makes customers mistrust us and handcrafted candles.

WOW!

Gotta agree with Sliver and Candybee. This statement right here turns me off. And I pour soy and soyblend candles. I would never tell customers this...because how do I know it is REALLY true. I think the word "constantly" definitely need to be removed. But...IMHO I wouldn't make any of these type of claims.

When a paraffin candle

is being burned, it's constantly producing carcinogens and

other toxins known to cause cancer.

I agree with Silver and the others. There is no factual information to support the claims about parrafin wax causing cancer. Plain and simple wax bashing never looks good.

Strictly from a business standpoint. Focus needs to be on the benefits of your candles, not why others may be bad.

... and it's not like fo's, wicks and dyes... no matter how 'Premium', are all natural and GOOD FOR YOU as they burn either.

:-) Just saying.

I was waiting for someone to say something, lol. I'm surprised it took so long.

We are all very friendly but this comes up so very often and is a big topic of discussion around here.

Is it really neccessary to bash a wax in order to sell your candles? I would think that scare tactics are probably not the best way to promote yourself or your company but I see this all the time. Seriously what would happen if the bashing were not on the website, would the candles not sell? If that is the case then I feel bad that some companies feel the need to promote through fear. IDK...just my opinion! :2cents:

Hey Brian, I realized that after I re-read what I wrote it may have come across a little harsh. Sorry about that, I was really just making a general comment and not personally against you. My response was just frustration from comments that I have seen on many soy candle sites, just think tactics like that are unneccessary to sell candles.(but thats just my opinion) Maybe just point out the positives of soy without bashing another wax. Anyway, not meant as an attack against you personally. :tiptoe:

Edited by lsbennis

Wow, I didn't realize this was such a hot topic of discussion around here. Pretty much any place I've looked on soy candle web sites, they have a page dedicated to this. I wasn't sure how much to push this part on the site, but it appears it should be very minimally, if at all. I could also go back and do more research, siting the sources of the information, although when doing the research orginally, I was reading articles from doctors, candle manufacturers, and and others that should be knowledeable - or so I thought. I know personally, after learning the process of making a paraffin wax candle, you won't find them around my home. But, ok. Suggestions taken, and we'll see what changes we can make in the next day or 2.

Sorry for the delay in response, I didn't realize there was a 2nd page of comments. I'm new around this site. But enjoying/appreciating the feedback. Thanks!

After just a quick review of the page, I'm thinking a better option would be to eliminate the 'paraffin bashing' part, and focus simply on the benefits of a soy wax candle in general - not compared to anything. And why we feel our product is a great option.

Yes? :)

Great Idea! :cheesy2:

I think you are NOW on the right track Northwood.

Let the public/customers decide. It's one thing for a customer to say they don't like paraffin or soy candles...but IMHO a business shouldn't be "bashing" another company to sell their products.

Maybe think of it this way. You don't see the big candle companies knocking each others candles..at least I never have. I used to burn Yank## candles all of the time and didn't realize there was a way to prevent black soot from covering the whole jar...lol. I've burned Village Candles, Partylite candles and a local candle company's (OOB now) candles before I started pouring my own. I determined what was good or bad about each companies candles.

Glad to see you have taken the posts in a good way.

Will you be selling fragrance oils, wax, and candle making supplies also? It would be nice to have a supplier to close, as I am in the same town. I am just starting out making candles and lotions, so still researching good supply companies out there!