Primary colors

Pouring pot

Thermometer

6 Wick pins

15 wicks - bought sample pack because I wasn't sure which would work best

6 votive molds

10 melt plastic containers

6 tart molds

I would like to start simple with cubed melts or tarts but am confused because there's so much information out there. First of all, which wax is better, soy or paraffin & can you mix them? If so, how? What I want is a candle that burns all the way down so there's nothing left and that holds a great scent.

Also, most recipes measure the scents and colors by adding them to 8-10 lb batches of wax when I would like to start with 1 lb at a time......so I'm confused there too.

Any suggestions on what would works best with votives, melts, etc. It seems like wicks are important but it's hard to figure out which wick is best for which type of candle.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much in advance :)

I can be of no help as far as the votives go b/c I have never tried to do those..yet. You will get varying opinions on which wax is better as I think it's more of a personal preference for most and what sells in your specific area (if you plan on selling in the future). Personally I use soy, won't touch parrafin but that's my preference and in my area people want soy (not a soy blend).

There are many waxes out there that are already mixed (parasoy) and again I have never used those so someone else may chime in on that. There are many that mix their own waxes but just starting out I wouldn't try getting in that deep yet.

The scents are not that difficult really b/c most reputable suppliers of FO's say use 1 to 1.5 oz of FO per lb of wax. And you will also need to know what the max % of FO your wax will hold and not go above that. So if you have 1 lb of wax you would use 1 to 1.5 oz of FO depending on the scent. That's where you will need to test. And for the colors that is going to be something else you will need to test to get the color you are wanting to achieve. Start out using a little and add if you need to get the color you want.

The wicks again are something that is going to have to be tested. Candle Science has a wick guide that is helpful but it's only a guide and you should test for yourself to see what works in your wax and container.

The best advice is to utilize the search feature on the forum and to test test and test. There is ALOT of helpful info on this board that can be found by using the search.

I do have one suggestion as I didn't see this on your list of supplies... a good scale... it is a must have.

Good luck and have fun!!

Edited by pleasureridgecandles

I agree with everything pleasureridgecandles mentioned. I do notice you mention EcoSoya Advanced in your list of products as well as votive cups. This particular wax is a container wax and won't work for votives. As mentioned, Candle Science is a wonderful site for "getting started". The EcoSoya PB wax for votives and pillars is a good wax if you're going to choose soy. We use it and it works great. We are also using a blend of both soy/paraffin and then plain paraffin. It's just a personal preference that most of us have here...what works for us. Also, you can run through the different waxes on the Candle Science site as well so doing research on this board and it can give you a feel for what you personally want to start testing with. Welcome to candlemaking and the board

:cheesy2:Welcome to the fun! When I first started using CT, someone provided these links, which have proved to be super-duper valuable, particularly the link to the old forum. HTH, and good luck!

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5492

It's also a good idea to keep detailed notes on formulas/recipes (my goal for 2011 is to transfer all this material to my laptop in some sort of organized format:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:) I keep my digital camera handy when I'm pouring to have a reference for colors, flame height, melt pool, etc.

Thanks for all the advice! Thank goodness someone brought up the way I bought wasn't good for votives because I had no idea! I think I'm going to start out with melts and tarts and move on from there. I'm super excited already! Thanks everyone!

If you're using soy, keep in mind that a cure time is involved. Soy is VERY finicky with fragrance oils. Some work well, some don't - there is no rhyme or reason. Curing a tart or candle for a couple of weeks will help improve the hot throw.

Hope this helps.