Powdered Goat's Milk??

Toni S.

I'm going to venture into making unscented goat's milk soap and add this to my line of CP. I'm going to be using the powder instead of fresh milk. Is there anyone who uses the powder, if so, I would appreciate any tips before I begin on it's use? Do you mix the powder w/ water and then freeze it like you would the fresh milk? Does the powder have a tendency to curdle like the fresh milk does if not added correctly. I do all my CP's at room temp. TIA

I'm going to venture into making unscented goat's milk soap and add this to my line of CP. I'm going to be using the powder instead of fresh milk. Is there anyone who uses the powder, if so, I would appreciate any tips before I begin on it's use? Do you mix the powder w/ water and then freeze it like you would the fresh milk? Does the powder have a tendency to curdle like the fresh milk does if not added correctly. I do all my CP's at room temp. TIA

You can either mix it with water and freeze it in cubes. Add lye SLOWLY in a cold water bath. Stir ALOT...

or

I use it by blending 1-1.5T ppo to the warmed oils. Blend well so there aren't any clumps left.

Make your lye water and soap away.

I buy mine in bulk 55# bags. I will be buying another bag in February if anyone is interested. I don't know the price yet though.

ETA: the last time I purchased it, I paid roughly $6.00/lb

Edited by singleyellowrose

Yellowrose,

Thanks for the info! Was wondering if the Evaporated Goat's Milk would be easier or if there is any difference between that and the powder? Have you tried the evaporated milk?

I thought I remember reading somewhere that if you just mix the powder in with the warm oils, you won't be getting the beneficial properties from the goat' milk? Could be off base on this one, not sure?

Yellowrose,

Thanks for the info! Was wondering if the Evaporated Goat's Milk would be easier or if there is any difference between that and the powder? Have you tried the evaporated milk?

I thought I remember reading somewhere that if you just mix the powder in with the warm oils, you won't be getting the beneficial properties from the goat' milk? Could be off base on this one, not sure?

I have only tried once using canned GM. It had guar in it. Nuff said:angry2:

IMHO, once the lye hits it, you really don't know WHAT is left.

What I do know is that neither me or my customers can tell a difference and it's a WHOLE lot easier!

I used to mix up the milk powder with water and freeze it and then do the SLOWLY adding the lye to it.

Adding it (powdered) to the oils has REALLY simplified the process. A few less steps is great! At least for me.

Do what works best for you. Make some small batches both ways and see which one you like better.

Guar - of the legume family, grown as a forage crop and for its seeds, which produce a gum (guar gum) used as a thickening agent and stabilizer in foods and pharmaceuticals and as sizing for paper and cloth and looks like white paste if not fully incorporated.

HTH

I have used powdered goats milk a long time ago and added it in powder form just before trace. I have also added fresh goats milk without trouble. I subtract the amount of water for the amount of goats milk I'm am going to use. Then, after I have added my lye water to my oils and pulse a few times then I add my goats milk. Pour into molds and freeze overnight and then put in the fridge for a short time and then take it out to warm up and unmold. Makes great soap and no icky smell of the milk or curdling.

I use the powder as the amount appropriate for the amount of water in my formulation. Read the can and see how many scoops per the amount of water you are using. I always stick blended it into the oil mixture then forgot one day and threw it in at the very beginning of trace and blended like crazy. It worked fine so I don't think it's too touchy. I have found it at times on sale and free shipping on amazon. The Original Soap Dish had it on sale this summer. Haven't looked for it since. I used to do the fresh milk frozen but the powder is so much easier and I can't see any difference in the soap.

FYI for those using Meyenberg's GM:

Hello Toni Seitz;

Thank you so much for taking the time to email us with your questions about

Meyenberg Evaporated Goat Milk.

Our Meyenberg Evaporated Goat Milk is all natural and contains only

concentrated goat milk. We do not add any fillers or starches to our milk

products, so there would be no guar gum in the milk.

We do recommend shaking the cans of milk very well before opening, then

using as your recipe indicates. If you are going to drink the milk, we

recommend mixing with one can of purified water, or more if desired by

taste.

Once the milk has been reconstituted, we suggest using the milk within 5

days after mixing and store in an airtight container towards the back of

your refrigerator where the milk will be the coldest.

I hope this helps to answer your question, please let me know if I can be of

additional assistance in anyway regarding Meyenberg Goat Milk products. We

thank you for your support of Meyenberg products, and greatly appreciate you

as our customer!