Soy blends in clamshells (with pics)

Wessex

OK, just starting out on the grand adventure of soy tarts and clamshells. Thought I would begin by pouring some clamshells with different blends and with Feather palm. All blends are 75% Ecosoya PB blended with 25% of either GB 415, GB 444 or IGI 4630. Feather palm is 100% palm. All were poured with the same FO (Wildberry Mousse from CS) at 7.7% and one drop of purple dye per 13 ozs of wax. All were heated to 190 degrees and dye and FO mixed in at 185 degrees. The 3 soy blends were poured between 130-135 degrees. The Feather palm was poured at 165 degrees. Temperature in house was approx. 64 degrees and humidity was higher than the normal winter humidity (have 2 saltwater reef tanks that pump out alot of humidity into house).

Pictures were taken 3 days after pouring, so I don't think there will be much more change to the appearance. PB/4630 has nice smooth top with very slight dips. PB/415 and PB/444 have slight visual "roughness", but are smooth with slight dips. Feather looks normal with no dip. All released very easily from clamshells. They snapped easily, with the Feather being a little softer, but nothing fell off the individual pieces.

Cold throw: at 3 day mark 444 is best, followed by 415, 4630 (thought it would be better) and Feather (was clear winner at day 1). Seems the soy are curing with decent CT. Day 1 the 415 had a "waxy" smell, but it is fading as it cures.

Won't be able to test HT for a week or two. Hope someone finds this useful. More to come. I'm sure I have forgotten things, will post as I remember.

Cheers,

Steve

post-12326-139458475271_thumb.jpg

post-12326-139458475276_thumb.jpg

post-12326-13945847528_thumb.jpg

post-12326-139458475285_thumb.jpg

post-12326-139458475289_thumb.jpg

post-12326-139458475293_thumb.jpg

post-12326-139458475297_thumb.jpg

And here's what is coming next. Tarts of different blends and poured at different temps. Lots of difference with different pour temps! Did not have the actual "Yankee" type tart molds yet, so used various culinery type tart molds.

Cheers,

Steve

post-12326-139458475301_thumb.jpg

Steve, love your clamshells and tarts. They turned out beautifully, especially the feather palm. I use a blend of PB and 464 with some 4630 to keep it looking smooth and minimize the cracking. I thought the same thing as you, would get a better HT with 4630 but had better luck with a larger percentage of 464 and reducing the 4630. Have had great feedback on my clamshells, so I'm excited.

I do have a few questions, tho, on your feather palm clamshells. First, are you pouring the palm below 150 degrees to not melt the plastic? Or is it okay to pour at the recommended pour temp for the wax? The wax always seems to harden up so quickly for me.

Also, have you tried the feather palm in a wax melter? If so, did you have any issues with removing the wax when you wanted to change it out. Does 10-15 min in the freezer get them to pop out like the PB?

Love the look of palm and you can get such nice colors and a wonderful HT, would like to try it in clams. But, I don't care for having to heat the wax in order to clean out the wax. Don't know about you, but it can be a pain to clean because it cools down so fast.

TIA - J

I poured the palm into the clamshells at 160-165. Of course, I placed the clamshells in a paper towel covered baking sheet just in case! Had researched and seen that some clamshells took the heat, some didn't, so just went for it. I have not tried any of the tarts in melters yet. Just started experimenting, so just looking at appearance and CT at the moment. Did not use the 646 in the clamshell blends because it has been frosting a bit in my tart blend experiments (and a WHOLE LOT in my cold pour container experiments, but not hot pour). Pouring some PB/CB 135 tarts and clamshells right now.

I have a variety of melters coming from OBI and other places so I can test the HT and release in a bunch of different melters. I will be posting pics of the tarts and containers soon. As I am just beginning the trip down "soy lane", I am trying most everything (in small batches) at once and then will begin narrowing my choices. Then I will have to start with different FO's and dyes. If I think about it too hard, I will throw up my hands and walk away, LOL. But it gives me something to do.

I will be posting pics as I can to give other people who want to have a go at soy some results. Of course, as always, what works for me might not work for others.

Cheers,

Steve

Thank you for sharing. That is a lot of writing. I am new at the clamshells with soy. I did them years ago with parrifin. But they didn't sell like they do now. 100% soy 464 seems to work well. Fantastic cold and hot throw. My customers are more than pleased. But I know summer is coming and I want to try the feather palm. They are so pretty and will hold up better in the heat. What I want to know, is do they throw well, and are they as strong as the soy. I will have to play with it and find out. But I am happy with what I am selling now. Since the Scentsy craze started, I have really been able to sell these. :smiley2: