what is your testing filing system?

I am curious as to the best way to file your test and batch reports and if there is a general template that you use for your cards/reports?

do you have a seperate file box(s)/cabinet,etc?

does anyone do a digital version?

How far back do you keep test records?

Edited by bearmnt

I use large index cards. I use index card boxes to keep them organized. I made my own "template" to print onto the cards. My intention was to put all the information into a database, but that hasn't happened yet... If I ever get a laptop in my candleroom, I'll start recording the information directly in the database then.

(SANTA BABY, please bring me a laptop!!!).

Assuming I continue making candles until I'm 100, I'll keep my testing information until then or until my kids throw all my crap away when they put me in the nursing home (IF they can catch me). You never know when you'll need a tidbit of information from the early days. :)

In the beginning I had a note book. I'd write everything in it and now 10 yrs later I'll look for something. but it's such a mess, nothing is in order. I'm lucky if I run across something I want. Now I write it down on a piece of paper and can never find it again . Still not good at the testing system.

So Stella's way sounds like a great way. I do put my fragrant formulas on index cards. I put amount and name of company I get the scent from plus the color I use.

LOL Sharon...I did the same thing with a notebook...same here 10 years of notes. I was just up in my candle shop the other day pouring tarts and thought about the FIRST notebook...looked for it but couldn't find it. I know it HAS to be up there but my shop looks like an earthquake hit it. I promised myself LAST year after Christmas I was going to do a major cleaning and the procrastinator I am never did. This year I had to work around the disaster...lol. It's a PITA because I am on the 2nd floor above my hubby's workshop so I have to carry stuff up and down the stairs. I have 4 garbage bags full of trash, empty wax boxes piled full of trash...and the list could go on and on. Anyway...I promised myself THIS year that I am going to do a major clean out and clean up. I have lots of cabinets and drawers with boxes of supplies piled in front of them that I can't open the doors. So...I am sure in my cleaning I will find my first notebook. I have several other notebooks full of info...but it IS a pain to go through the pages looking for what I want. Plus I have scraps of paper all over the place with "formulas" for mixing scents.

In all of my 61 years...I have NEVER been organized. I have good intentions but it never materializes.

Oh...I was just up there a while ago looking for my Aileen's glue gun. I looked everywhere and couldn't find it. I use a glue pot now from Michael's for my wicks...used to use the glue gun. Hubby wanted it for something so I said I will go upstairs and look for it. After a while I glanced over on my pouring table...there it was in the case...in plain sight. LOL

And you looked there a dozen times but somehow it just appears???? I have been this way all my 65 years and as the song goes "my intentions are the best". My candle pouring room is/was going to get the works.. this year but now I hurt my back. If I could just get all the soap and B&B stuff out of the room I could spread the mess around better. But where do I go with it?????:confused:

I started in a spiral notebook but couldn't keep everything in alphabetical order. So then I went to index cards in a recipe box but I tend to take too many notes and would run out of room on my cards. Last year I switched to a 3 ring notebook and inserted tabbed alphabetical dividers which is working wonderfully !! I have a whole sheet of notebook paper I can keep track of notes and if the front and back get filled I can staple another sheet to it. Everything is together and organized.

Like Stella I am hoping Santa Baby brings me a laptop but transfering all my notes will take forever plus then I fear forgetting to back up and loosing everything :tiptoe: .

I keep a digital version of test records and photos. Last thing I need is more paperwork cluttering up my limited storage space. Now I print out a test template to write notes on about everything that goes into making the candle then process that info into my computer files for storage. I designed my own test template based on my 'learning' how to test and what to test for etc.

I JUST thought of something. Several years ago...one of the suppliers either sent out with an order or it was on their site...a testing sheet with EVERYTHING you need to record. I sent it to work with my hubby so he could make me like 100 copies. Like I said earlier I always have good intentions. I started out using them...it had spots for test burning (hours burned etc.). And guess what? You got it...I have no clue where they got to either.

When I clean my shop it will be like Christmas morning...finding all of the surprises. lol

Oh and yes Sharon...I walked by that pouring table many times...and even looked ON it and didn't see it.

I don't do bath and body in my shop since I don't have a sink. So all of those supplies are stored on shelves in my laundry room and then all of the boxes of bottles/lids/sprayers/jars etc. are in boxes in my other craft room where I have TONS of started projects that I never finished.

Which brings up another interesting story. I need to make a couple of bottles of body lotion that my SIL ordered. I have to have them ready to give to her on Wednesday when we have my hubby's side of the family Christmas party. I looked in the craft room for the boxes of lotion bottles and caps...I use blue with silver lids. I found all of the clear and white bottles but not the blue. Then I remembered that my hubby put THAT box in the storage area of our garage...and he has large sheets of drywall stacked in front of the box plus all of my boxes of wax are behind them too. lol So I told hubby...you are going to have to move them because I can't budge the heavy things. :mad:

you guys are so helpful, thank you.

stella- "If they can catch me" lmao. Im a young mom(26) and my 7 year old told me "mommy, Ill miss you when you die" so I told him not to worry cause Im gonna live forever. he he he

I love the note book Idea, but would you guys suggest having a digital and a hard copy(space permiting)

Looks good. But definitely add to the bottom of the page where it says notes...your actual burn times and results of each burn. Like how much time to achieve full melt pool, is the flame height okay, a torch or almost drowning out. Then each time you test burn record depth of melt pool...not enough or too deep etc. By the last burn did the wick you used clean the glass or leave wax on the sides. I think you probably do know all of this. Just keep detailed notes and I think you will be good to go.