Fragrance Mushroom???

I ran across the following while surfing around....

"When burning XXX Candles, wicks will develop a black "fragrance mushroom". This "fragrance mushroom" is caused by the high volume of fragrance oils which have made our "Fragrances with Wicks" so popular.

A wick serves as a straw when burning, pulling the fragrance oil through the wax and releasing the fragrance into the air as it burns.

XXX Candles' "fragrance mushroom" is a constant reminder to you of our dedication to quality and your enjoyment.

When a "fragrance mushroom" is formed, gently blow out the flame, let cool, trim wick to 1/8"-1/4" and relight. Without this simple attention, the "fragrance mushroom" could smoke and cause an oversized flame"

Not sure what to think about this. I personally strike to have candles that do NOT have a mushrooming wick. Any thoughts?

It is a marketing ploy.. They are trying to justify their mushrooms!!! :laugh2:

First.. Any smart chandler would never BLOW out their wicks or suggest that method to their customers. :rolleyes2 It only creates smoke and a horrible smell!!

The proper way to put out your candle is to use a a wick dipper to extinguish the flame.

Definately a way to justify sloppy candlemaking. Too lazy to test! Or just don't care. Either way, they should be kicked in the ass. As far as blowing out candles, thats what I do. I personally do not know anyone that uses a wick dipper. I'm sure 95% of your average candle user would not even know wick dippers exist, LOL. I don't have any candles that smoke or give off a smell when blown out (other than the second or two of slight smoke). Of course some wick types just do that (I'm looking at you evil hemp, LOL).

Cheers,

Steve

It is a marketing ploy.. They are trying to justify their mushrooms!!! :laugh2:

First.. Any smart chandler would never BLOW out their wicks or suggest that method to their customers. :rolleyes2 It only creates smoke and a horrible smell!!

The proper way to put out your candle is to use a a wick dipper to extinguish the flame.

I blow out my wick :tiptoe::tiptoe::tiptoe:

I found them on a gift show website. They have over 58 retail locations in Ohio!! Pricey to 8 oz tumbler is 18 dollars.

more marketing is in their About Us.

"

It's not hard to see why XXXX Candles are the best candles on the market. Our unique super-refined, food-grade soy wax formulation absorbs more fragrance oil than any other natural candle wax available. Our special blend burns clean and strong and lasts up to twice as long as normal candles. Our fragrances are designed in-house with the assistance of the finest perfumers from all around the world, and we use recycled materials wherever possible in the production of our products. The result is a line of premium candles with quality you can see, and most importantly, smell. Once you have experienced the wonderful fragrances and long burn times of our candles, we are sure you will be back again and again"

I guess the tested all other natural candle waxes...lol

Well I am a dipper and not a blower and proud of it!! LOL :tiptoe::tiptoe::tiptoe:

Seriously, Dipping you wicks does help. All candle wicks smoke when you blow them out, even a little, so dipping eliminates the smoke and the burnt smoke smell.

Plus, if you teach your buyers to dip, then you can sell them a wick dipper and increase sales. :)

Steve - Smokeless wicks after you blow them out???? WOW.. I have yet to find a candle that the wick does not smoke after blowing it out..

Your going to put all us wick dippers out of biz!! :P

Edited by islandgirl

Fragrance Mushroom
Gotta admire their talent for total BS marketing for that one! :laugh2:However, I still think 'shrooms are best reserved for sauteeing or stuffing.
Any smart chandler would never BLOW out their wicks or suggest that method to their customers.
I confess - I was a snuffer, until the wise folks here educated me about the merits of dipping. Dipping beats snuffing or blowing by a country mile. Instant out, zero smoke, never any "afterglow," wick reprimed & recentered for the next round... What's not to like?!!! :tongue2:
I used the flame end of the lighter to dunk the wick
You're getting the spirit! (does it still light?) ;)

I made the mistake of using a pen once or twice... they never seemed to write worth a crap after that, though... Paperclips work really well in a pinch as do bamboo skewers, clay modeling tools, forks, knives, spoons, scissors, canine dental tartar scrapers, screwdrivers... I even learned how to dip with the other end of a Sharpie pen without melting it! :D

*** Hooked on Dipping ***

Edited by Stella1952

I ran across the following while surfing around....

"When burning XXX Candles, wicks will develop a black "fragrance mushroom". This "fragrance mushroom" is caused by the high volume of fragrance oils which have made our "Fragrances with Wicks" so popular.

A wick serves as a straw when burning, pulling the fragrance oil through the wax and releasing the fragrance into the air as it burns.

XXX Candles' "fragrance mushroom" is a constant reminder to you of our dedication to quality and your enjoyment.

When a "fragrance mushroom" is formed, gently blow out the flame, let cool, trim wick to 1/8"-1/4" and relight. Without this simple attention, the "fragrance mushroom" could smoke and cause an oversized flame"

Not sure what to think about this. I personally strike to have candles that do NOT have a mushrooming wick. Any thoughts?

My thoughts? What a load of codswallop!!! :rolleyes2

I'd be ashamed to give, never mind sell, a candle to anyone with a "fragrance mushroom". Puh-lease.........

I posted a thread recently about soot on the side of a container. One of my testers that has a production candle said it turned black on the side and thought someone at her home blew it out instead of pushing it into the MP.

Most of the replies indicated that blowing out a wick was bound to produce this result.

I went on a testing spree and agree, but did learn a few things about it that I will share in that thread.

Anyway, I'm of the belief that FO is not the source of shroom production, the wax and wick type/size is.

So, IMHO, it is a marketing ploy that misleads the public.

Reminds me of that old BS Candles company.

I don't know why everyone is suddenly hung up on not blowing out a wick. I know that it is best to use a wick dipper, but probably 95% of people don't do this. So when I test candles (and I have tested hundreds), I blow out the wick. Have absolutely no problems. No sooting, no afterglow, nada. I am using GG and mostly CSN's, which are pretty dang good wicks! I agree it would be nice to educate the public, but I even gave my Mom a dipper and she still blows her candles out :)

So anyway, I think a properly wicked candle will suffer no adverse effects by being blown out. Just MHO. Definately not trying to step on anyones toes. As I tell soldiers going overseas (in regards to finding and neutralizing IED's), it is A way, not THE way.

Cheers,

Steve