Checking for lye

vberkesch

Hi all,

Just wondered if any of you use any other method for checking the lye safety of yur soaps besides the tongue test??

Do any of you use ph strips - and if so what are we looking for in our soaps as far as ph goes?? Does the ph level of soap have to do with the lye level?

I love my soap, it feels wonderful on the skin - but it has been turning my wooden soap dishes that are varnished a dark color wherever the soap is in constant contact. So wondering if this has something to do with ph level.

Thanks much, Vanessa

I don't check ph but keep my soap on a stainless steel soap dish. Seems like the issue with the wood has to do about the type of sealant used or not sealed at all. There are a ton of variables concerning soap IMHO. Most importantly is a person's skin type and whether they have hard or soft water. Soap that works for my skin does not work for others with different skin problems and or if they have allergies. Most lye soap is low ph, according to what I've read in most books. HTH.

Steve

It depends on the type of soap. "True soap" is alkaline, but syndet soap (what you usually find in stores) is more acidic.

The methods available/affordable to everyone isn't really reliable for testing soap PH. You could dissolve the soap in some water and test the solution with a strip, or drip phenolphthalein directly on the bar to get an approximate. To get an accurate reading, you need one of those electronic PH meters which costs a lot of $$$.

I don't think the dish turning dark has anything to do with the soap PH though... it's probably the dish itself. Could even be mold.

Well, Scentery, I was responding to the poster immediately before me who specifically said "lye soap". Which is what the whole thread is about - not about commercial syndet bars but about soap.

As for pH meters - not really $$$ - you can purchase an inexpensive pH meter through The Herbarie and other suppliers. It's not really important for soapmaking, but if you make lotions and such then it's an important investment.

Phenolphthalein is very approximate. Very. It's colorless in the pH range of 0 to about 8, and pink from about 8 to 12, then colorless again above 12.

A low pH (0-6) is considered acidic and a high pH (8-14) is considered alkaline on the ph scale. pH 7 is considered neutral. But even good, mild, completely saponified soap is generally more or less alkaline, with a pH between 8 and 10. Far more important than the pH of the soap is its alkali concentration, (excerpt from "Scientific Soapmaking". The lower pH is described as "tongue neutral". The author suggests that it is of more importance to know the alkalinity from the top of the bar to the bottom. Thank you CareBear for the correction.

Steve