Question for those who have a wax melter

IwantItgreen

This is kind of premature for me, but I have the opportunity to purchase a wax melter that is about 5 years old. It is a 20-30 lb melter. The person selling told me that it is a TEMPCO melter purchased from Candles and Supplies.com. Here's my dilemma, it's no longer on their website and a google search brings up nothing.

3n63k23p95T25Q05Z3abj2902adcae0891edd.jpg

Here's a picture. Does this look familiar to anyone? It is a water-jacketed melter.

I'm wondering what the value of this melter is. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by IwantItgreen
added

Iwantitgreen,

Just give Cindy a call she will give you plent of info on it, also is you have a phone number of the seller she might be able to look up the exact date it was bought... Hope eveything works out for you...

Candles & Supplies

215-538-8552

Travis

Check similar melters on www.candlewic.com. You won't ever regret getting a melter. Nothing even compares with the safety and reliability of a water jacketed system. I leave mine on 24/7. One thing though, I would fill it with vegetable oil. That way you never have to worry about evaporation or steam. My large melter took over 5 gallons of oil but was well worth the expense. (got my oil through a wholesale supplier)

Looks like 3 of us go for the turkey fryer. Like they said, will hold same amount of wax and probably not cost as much and I can't think of a single problem you should have with it. Have had mine for probably 3 yrs or so and it still works perfect.

I talked with Cindy at CandlesandSupplies and the melter is a 50 lb rectangle melter, that they don't make anymore. The make them round now. She stated that they hold their value and the only thing that would ever need to be replaced would be the heater, which is very easy to replace yourself. I'm still debating.

I agree with simplybeelightful, If you have the funds and are going to need it DO IT... I have thought about the Turkey Fryer but I don't think it will be for me... The resell value is there and the spout make's tapping it very nice(no laddle)... I did a fund raiser a few weeks ago where I supplied everything and the group did all the pouring we used 2 presto pots and it took way to long... You get about 6 16oz JJ out and have to wait entill the the next pot is fully melted... I will be buying one in the near furture... GOOD LUCK, Travis

Looks like 3 of us go for the turkey fryer. Like they said, will hold same amount of wax and probably not cost as much and I can't think of a single problem you should have with it. Have had mine for probably 3 yrs or so and it still works perfect.

The turkey fryer I am using has been in use for 5+ years! love it! atleast once a year 1300 pounds of wax is put through it in about 1-2 weeks time on top of the year long abuse it takes

Here's my one piece of advice for those with a water jacketed melter - distilled water. I have a 200lb one and its about 6 years old. I use distilled water and have never had to replace my element. Distilled water keeps the mineral build up on the element to a mininum. At first it took lots of gallons but the upkeep is low after it is full.

I did the back and forth with the turkey fryer vs WJ melter too when I was looking at a potential wholesale account. I decided on the used WJ melter and have never regretted it. Yes I spent 2x what 1 turkey fryer would have cost and yes it takes up a bit more space but mine also does hold double the wax of the fryer. Also, with the water I feel much more at ease when I leave it on 24/7 when I am really busy. I just turn it low enough to keep the wax liquified but not anywhere near my pour temp when I am not actively pouring to be safe then turn it up while I am getting everything ready (jars wicked, etc) so that it is ready when I am ready to start pouring (heats up quickly from that point because the wax is already liquified). I know of a friend who was not watching her wax level in her fryer as closely as she should have been during a really busy production day and had it flash on her when the level got too low close to the immersed element. Yes it was her fault for not watching it more closely but NOT worth the risk IMO, even if it was just a freek occurance.