wicking mottling wax

Hi,

I made my first candle with IGI 1274 -- 3" diameter pillar. I used one pound of wax, .5 oz of Cranberry Marmalade FO from CS, liquid dyes from CW, and LX18 wick.

The first burn on this candle is going strong but I'm wondering if it's too strong. The wick was trimmed before lighting and the flame height after 45 minutes was 1 3/4". I trimmed it back and the height returned to an inch. The hot throw is not great so I'm thinking the wick is too big. I used what was recommended in the CS wick guide for this wax but I'm learning I can't trust that. I chose the wick for the 2.5" - 3" candle diameter.

The candle was poured about 18hrs ago and came out of the mold this morning. Should I have let it cure for a while before burning as you do with soy? There are pock marks on the top (concave mold, bottom pour is top of candle). I used ReleaseGen to condition the mold and I'm wondering if air bubbles got trapped on the bottom.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I've found that LX wicks have a tendency for producing tall flames, especially in paraffin pillars. If you're looking for another type of wick to try, I would go for flat braid wicks, a 24 or 27 would be a good starting point. I've had better flame stability and control with the flat braids than the LX.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

btw...the CS guidelines usually come in on the high side for me too.

I know that there are many people who can use IGI wax and wicks that don't work for me. I tried and tried to make my mottles work with IGI wax. I only had so so luck. I always had to "hug" my candles. I don't think one should have to do that. Just light the dang thing and it should self consume with very little attention. As soon as you add something to mottling wax to make it burn better......you lose the mottle. I always had pretty consistently good burning candles with Candlewic's 4045H. It will mottle. Mottled too much for me so I had to change it a speck. The 4045 mottles too. Just a bit different. What the difference in waxes is a mystery to me. I have burned 100's of candles and watched and watched and watched and spent $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. You can always do a search on this forum board and find all kinds of information.....but it always will come back to you. Everyone does something different. Room temp....how well your mold is cleaned....cooling temperatures.....etc. I have had many people here help me over the years. Thanks to all of you.

Donita

ps....be sure the mold is CLEAN between pourings.

Thank you, homecomfort. I ordered some flat braid wicks yesterday from Peak. They didn't have size 27 fb, so I got 18, 24, and 30. (I'll try the 18 for tapers--and maybe tealights?) I also added some of the sizes of square braid that I didn't have. (I currently have #2/0 and #2 and neither of those seemed like the right size for a 3" diameter paraffin candle.)

Hi Donita, thanks for your input. I will look into some of Candlewic's waxes. I got my first supplies from them and was happy but they have a longer lag time before shipping--that's why I order more from CS. I was not particularly impressed with the mottling on this IGI wax. I did insulate the poured molds in a styrofoam cooler. Yes, I cleaned my molds well before pouring--with a heat gun and paper towel. Then I sprayed with ReleaseGen and reheated before pouring.

I think the money I've spent on wicks is about to rival the money I've spent on FO's! That's what I get for trying to learn three different waxes...palm, beeswax, and paraffin.

Edited by evergreen