Wicks won't stay stuck down. Help please.

I use a hot glue gun to stick my wicks in my jars, and I never used to have any problems, but now when you are burning my candles and you get close to the bottom of the candle the wick floats across the bottom of the jar. What is the best wicking method.

By the way I preheat my jars in an oven before pouring if that makes any difference. Thank you in advance for your help. Elizabeth

The high-temp glue sticks I purchased are not "high temp" enough - some of the wicktabs still became loosened from the glass. Even one wicktab that has come loose or unsealed is one to many for me. The wicktab does not have to come loose to cause it to fail, BTW - all the adhesive has to do is become softened to unseal, which allows liquid wax to be drawn into the wick from underneath the wicktab. This will allow the wick to continue burning until it has sucked every drop of liquid wax from the container.

I have tested the foam adhesive squares and circles commonly used and they failed. I have tested glue dots and they failed miserably. Hot glue which softens at a temp of less than 500°F fails. Silicon rubber sealant used on unwashed glass fails.

I use Permatex silicon rubber gasket sealer (rated for 600°+) to stick my wicktabs to cold, clean glassware. I buy it from Autozone. I allow the sealer to harden for at least 2-3 hours before using. The manufacturer recommends a 24 hour time to reach maximum strength of the adhesive. When I warm the containers, they are already wicked so this has no effect on the sealant. Yes, the sealer makes the wicktab difficult to remove when the candle is spent. My goal is not to encourage reusing candle glassware; it's to make safer candles. If you search the forums using Permatex as the search term, you will find many discussions about this, links to product images, etc. HTH :)

I use high temp hot glue and I put the tabbed wick in a bic pen casing, then use the pen casing to press down the wick tab. I use the glue sticks because I like to recycle glass. I never have a problem with them coming loose. I use mostly apothecary jars.

I do the same. No problem with the high temp glue sticks I use. Maybe the pressing down of the wick tab with the pen casing is what helps seal it cause I don't get any loose tabs.

BTW I use GG palm and pour my wax at 195 - 205 degrees. Never had one come loose at that temp. They also don't come loose when you burn the candle all the way down.

Edited by Candybee

Thank you everyone. I have been doing it with the straw instead of a pen and then I use a butter knife to push the wick tab down all the way around and I use a big blob of glue so it oozes out the sides. They mostly stick but sometimes they don't. It must be these glue sticks. We haven't had them that long. I appreciate how helpful everyone is. Elizabeth

2 things that I found using the glue sticks.....

1. make sure that your glass is clean. My new glassware makes a pitstop at my dishwasher before it even makes it to the workshop. The residue inside can keep them from adhearing correctly.

2. if your workbench/countertop is cold try putting a piece of cardboard or a towel, etc under your jar while wicking them to insulate them from the cold. I found that if my basement workbench was too cold the glue would harden too quickly and not give it enough time to adhear to the glass properly, causing the wicks to pop off sporatically.

Both are quick, easy & cheap fixes but they have fixed the problem for me.

By the way I preheat my jars in an oven before pouring if that makes any difference. Thank you in advance for your help. Elizabeth

Are you wicking them and then putting them in the oven to warm the jars? Because that would loosen the wicks up.

I use just a cheap old $3 glue gun, I don't warm my jars and I have never had a floating wick. I use a flat, wooden stick with a flat edge to push down on the wick tab when it is in the jar.

We tried using the round adhesive tabs and they were soooo sticky, they were hard to remove if you recycle your jars. We stopped using them.

I hope this helps!

Awesome. I may try some of those. I really like the idea of getting away from the glue gun. I don't like the stringy cobwebby stuff and the occasional blister when a blob falls on me.

I tried the ones from Candle Science and they failed miserably. I put some in the jars. Pushed them down really well with the butter knife and then tried to pick up the empty jar by the wick and it came right out. I mean came right out.

I think I am going to try the permatex silicon rubber gasket sealer.

These are all wonderful suggestions. Thank you again. What a great group. Candlemakers rock.