Somone Help ME!!!

My advice is to research wwaaaayyyyyy before you look into purchasing supplies. Google as much as you can, read through the archived forums and these forums and learn as much as you can. There are so many different options for supplies and items... you have to make the choice for yourself...

But welcome and have fun!!:yay:

Im trying to make my own candles but I dont know where I should start? like what wax to use for a good scent throw, where to get oils and all other types of supplies?!? please someone help me out here

Hi! Welcome. I would start with a kit from Peaks http://www.peakcandle.com/ They have excellent products and service. You'll have to choose either paraffin or soy wax in your kit.

Before you decide, you really need to spend some time searching this forum on what to consider. Soy or paraffin. Paraffin or soy. Soy can be really frustrating to work with at times and you have to be gifted with patience. If you're easily discouraged or over-exuberant I'd consider starting with paraffin. Then when you get that down pat, and you're having fun, maybe consider playing with soy.

If you're wanting to make your own candles because you think it will be cheaper, your are in for a great-big wide-eyed surprise. It's definitely a very expensive hobby, and successful candle businesses have a ton of money invested on testing products. Ask anyone on this forum, and they'll all agree. I started a year ago, and the money I spent thinking to save, could have bought me Yankees for a lifetime.

While I don't want to discourage you, I do want you to know that it can be very rewarding when you turn out a superior product. Please don't expect that to happen immediately. It takes time and experience, failures and successes keep you going. Please spend a lot of time here searching. There is a wealth of information here. Have fun and welcome again to the board.

Hi! Welcome. I would start with a kit from Peaks http://www.peakcandle.com/ They have excellent products and service. You'll have to choose either paraffin or soy wax in your kit.

Before you decide, you really need to spend some time searching this forum on what to consider. Soy or paraffin. Paraffin or soy. Soy can be really frustrating to work with at times and you have to be gifted with patience. If you're easily discouraged or over-exuberant I'd consider starting with paraffin. Then when you get that down pat, and you're having fun, maybe consider playing with soy.

If you're wanting to make your own candles because you think it will be cheaper, your are in for a great-big wide-eyed surprise. It's definitely a very expensive hobby, and successful candle businesses have a ton of money invested on testing products. Ask anyone on this forum, and they'll all agree. I started a year ago, and the money I spent thinking to save, could have bought me Yankees for a lifetime.

While I don't want to discourage you, I do want you to know that it can be very rewarding when you turn out a superior product. Please don't expect that to happen immediately. It takes time and experience, failures and successes keep you going. Please spend a lot of time here searching. There is a wealth of information here. Have fun and welcome again to the board.

I agree! and the main reason I want make candles is for my self so I can make some great scents that arent avalible to everyone. but Im not thinking of buying anything online because shipping is expensive so instead im starting out at my local craft store :) the problem is that they dont label there wax with numbers and stuff so it get hard to know whats what

I agree! and the main reason I want make candles is for my self so I can make some great scents that arent avalible to everyone. but Im not thinking of buying anything online because shipping is expensive so instead im starting out at my local craft store :) the problem is that they dont label there wax with numbers and stuff so it get hard to know whats what

Craft store supplies are garbage. It would be hard to produce a consistently good product with what they have to offer. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Myself being a newbie at making candles can attest to it being costly but the more you experiment the better the product gets. I too would suggest getting a candle kit, as it comes with most everything you need to start out.

I would also suggest to shop around for kits and compare what is in each kit to get the better kit. Some offer 2lbs of wax, others contain 5lbs. Some kits contain jars others contain tins.

I do agree with the others, that reading these forums and gaining information on wax, wicks, and containers is very good advice. There is so much information to absorb about making candles, tarts, and votives. I'm learning it's a lot of trial and error before a combination works the way it should.

Welcome to the board and have fun at experimenting! :)

I think you will find that craft stores are more expensive for raw products and there is usually no one on staff to advise you about the products. Look to see if there is a supplier in your area that will sell to the public (some require a wholesale number) and go ask questions. A kit is a reasonable way to go about getting your feet wet in a very complicated craft. You may decide to go soy, palm, paraffin or a soy/paraffin blended wax and whether to go with tarts/melts, votives, containers or pillars. I would start with a simple votive kit in a paraffin wax and learn that before tackling the more complicated stuff. Oh, and read everything on the board and buy books. HTH.

Steve

Welcome to the forum:yay: We are glad to have you. The only thing I would tell you is get a candle kit with smaller jar diameter, not tins the opening is too big for learning the wicking. Start with a smaller opening. Beleive me I know from experience. Have fun and expect to maybe be disappointed a few times:confused: but not defeated.