College Soaps

chuck_35550

I purchased some silicone ice cube trays from a fan website which are the familiar emblems of two local college teams. I pour up scented and team colored soaps and bag em as "Mascots" guests soaps. They are so much fun and quick and easy to make. I don't charge very much for them and they are really inexpensive to make. I think these come in just about every team known. HTH

Steve

Steve, I've done the same thing--I don't have the guest-size molds but the ones that hold 5-6 oz. Probably the same two teams as you have since we're both in Alabama!

People do love them and they make great gifts for those sports fanatics--I haven't run across anyone who has seen them before I started making them.

Jane

Could these be considered copyright infringement? I know I've seen some companies do candles in the team colors and elude to the team without actually using a licensed team logo or mentioning the team by name. For example a blue and orange candle scented "Tiger Pride".

I was asked to do some NASCAR soaps, but never pursued it after a local candle maker here lost her business for doing NASCAR container candles and using licensed images without permission.

I was afraid it might be--so I only sell them from home, and the people who come to my house are only people I know well. I've also given quite a few for gifts, but I can't imagine that would be a problem.

Thanks for the heads-up about the Nascar candles. I've done a few candles in glassware with the school logo, but they've been for gifts also. I've had people ask me about wholesaling them and I won't do it for that reason.

Jane

The scripted A for Alabama cannot be copyrighted. However, neither universities names are used on the label (I think the Auburn logo is pretty much protected). I sell these locally and doubt that there will be much of an issue with them but would certainly stop if asked by either institution. The University of Alabama just lost a major suit against an artist who makes major money off of his painting and prints.

Steve

I only bought the "A" mold originally because my daughter-in-law and her family are rabid fans! Her uncle played ball there and they're all intense about it. I brought one to work and several people loved them and wanted some, and one person asked if I could get the other mold, so I searched until I found it. Those molds are so expensive I haven't sold enough of that one to pay for the mold yet!!