Advice on tealight packaging

jonsie

I would like an eco-friendly box for six tealights. Does such a thing exist?

I'm also looking for an eco-friendly way to package individual tea lights to avoid mixing their scents with other tealights.

I'm considering using waxed paper bags but I'd prefer a more elegant solution. But just so you know what I mean, I've attached a photo of the little bags with some tealights.

In the photo, the middle shows you the bag compared to the tealight. And then you can see the two ways I'm thinking about wrapping it. Both ways use a 1-1/2 in diameter label on the bottom which helps the packaging lay flat. What I like about the twisted version is you can untwist to smell the scent, and it will twist back, holding its closed shape. The flat version (on the right) is what I'm thinking to use in a six-pack package. Each bag costs 2 cents at Papermart.com.

So... lemme have it. Is this a viable way to package tealights in a eco-friendly way? Does it look pretty ridiculous?

If the wax paper bags aren't a good idea, then can you please help me know of other options?

Thanks in advance!

Susan

post-11807-139458473892_thumb.jpg

This is what I do:

A while back, I had to buy a lot of glass flower pots for a wedding. They came in boxes of 12 with cardboard dividers. I cut those apart because I couldn't bear to throw them away. I ended up with several hundred cardboard squares. They fit 4 tealights perfectly.

Then I use shrink wrap bags for my votive samplers and some jars. I use the excess from this to shrink wrap my tealights. Then I wrap it with raffia and a hang tag. They sell well. I like the fact that I can use the excess shrink wrap and cardboard for this.

:cheesy2::cheesy2::confused:I so love your idea and theory. But honestly, as a consumer, I am irritated with extra wrap, twist ties, etc. on product. I would rather just open a box. I think they look super cute individually wrapped, but how often do you burn just one? I tried the cello sacks, and didn't like how the teas got beat up; use Sunshine for boxes. They stay nice and safe. HTH

Then I use shrink wrap bags for my votive samplers and some jars. I use the excess from this to shrink wrap my tealights.
That sounds lovely, and I like the idea of reusing materials. Do they sell compostible shrink wrap bags/film? I see that it is made, but I'm not sure where to actually buy it.
:cheesy2::cheesy2::confused:I so love your idea and theory. But honestly, as a consumer, I am irritated with extra wrap, twist ties, etc. on product. I would rather just open a box.
Thanks! And I completely agree, I hate messing with the additional packaging. The only purpose I have for individually wrapping them is for retail sale so they don't get dinged up and smell up the store. I'm also imagining selling mixed sets of tealights from my website as scent samplers, and I didn't want the fragrances to mix in the mailer.

I tried the cello sacks, and didn't like how the teas got beat up; use Sunshine for boxes. They stay nice and safe. HTH
I LOVE how the Sunshine tealight boxes look, but I've been under the impression they aren't very eco-friendly. Are they recycleable?

That sounds lovely, and I like the idea of reusing materials. Do they sell compostible shrink wrap bags/film? I see that it is made, but I'm not sure where to actually buy it.

National Shrinkwrap sells biodegradeable polyolefin shrink. They'd probably send a sample to you if you gave them a call or quick email. I use the non-bio perforated polyolefin and love it.

Thanks! And I completely agree, I hate messing with the additional packaging. The only purpose I have for individually wrapping them is for retail sale so they don't get dinged up and smell up the store. I'm also imagining selling mixed sets of tealights from my website as scent samplers, and I didn't want the fragrances to mix in the mailer.

I LOVE how the Sunshine tealight boxes look, but I've been under the impression they aren't very eco-friendly. Are they recycleable?

Hi again. I pulled this excerpt off the website, hth!

Sunshine Container’s two ( 2 ) piece sparkling clear acetate tealight candle boxes are perfect for displaying your tealight candles. These boxes come in multiple sizes and the quality and consistency will satisfy even the most discerning customer. Order direct from the manufacturer and save! Sunshine Container is an environmentally conscious, family owned company and uses recycled materials whenever possible to preserve our planet.