PB votives

I made my 1st ecosoya pb votives friday night to test. I have alot of questions.:laugh2:1st they are very oily to the touch, 2nd (don't laugh please) should I have put palm steric in the mix? if so how much? I used 1oz pp (my daughter came over and the 1st thing outa her mouth OMG it smells great in here what are you burning) they have a little frosting on the top but look great on the body of the votive. 3rd I used a wick pin on 2 and none on 4, I wanted to see if my husband could drill the wick hole without cracking the votive:laugh2:he didn't even turn the drill on it went right through by pushing the bit. I don't like votive wickpins we don't get along very good:laugh2:So they are really soft like container wax is that because of no steric. I am hooked on the pb scent throw:yay:Iwicked with cd6, cd5, and a cd4. I thought the cd5 would be the winner but wanted to go 1 up and 1 down. Rainwater from CS cd5 I like the best but still have 3 to test. OK is this long enough are you still with me? Opinions will be greatly appreciated, Stella, Canybee, Judy or anyone using this wax for votives Please. TIA

Soy

I'm not any of those people specifically asked, but may I raise my hand on this?

I'm an Ecosoya PB user for votives. I do use wick pins and do not use stearic. My shipment of the PB is plenty hard all on its own. Like you, I use FO at 6% and have been pleased with it - long lasting, decent throw (LX wicks) and an all around pretty votive. I've not personally experienced an oily feeling on any. I wonder if it was your FO? Or maybe your fo just didn't mix in as well as it should have?:confused:

You may raise your hand and thank you for doing so. Maybe I should add, I put them in the freezer for a short amount of time to get the release I guess that's why I asked about the palm steric. Did not test burn for a while until thawed:laugh2:sounds funny we usually say until cooled:laugh2:Thanks for the reply.

TY for the post-post invite to stick my nose in...:laugh2:

When I tried the freezer to short cut cooling they cracked on me. When I learned patience, I also learned that they all release from my metal votive molds great when they're ready. Generally I get to un-mold them after 2-3 hours.

I'm wondering if the sticking and oiliness problems you mentioned are related. How did you make them? Temps, etc.?

Oh no I didn't put them in the freezer to cool they cooled overnightI put them in for a short time for mold release:laugh2:here is a pic the paper towel has absorb some of it, but you can see the droplets on the bottom still there like beads of sweat. I got this pb from a friend that was cleaning out a bunch of stuff she wasn't using anymore. I wonder if that's the problem.? maybe I should order fresh PB.

Has anyone seen this before? Oh and I know they look kina rough but 1st time LOL

post-11440-139458473876_thumb.jpg

post-11440-13945847388_thumb.jpg

Edited by soy327

If you are sure it is ecosoya PB, and that you melted to the mfr recommended temp, stirred the right amount of FO for the full 2 minutes before pouring and this is how your wax performed, then I would be inclined try some fresh PB.

That's a lot of oily residue. It sure would explain the sticking in the mold. I'd be a little extra careful if/when burning them.

PB is kinda oily/sticky compared to other brands of soy pillar blend I have used. I remove the votives from the mold & wickpins while they are still warm - much easier to release without cracking. While PB is softer than palm wax, it's a lot harder than container wax. I set them aside to harden off for a few days before wicking. I don't use palm stearic.

I doubt the age of the wax has anything to do with the sweating. It's "that" time of year... I agree about the freezer - that can cause the syneresis you experienced. It should stop on its own. If it really bugs you, try remelting and allowing to cool slowly again and demold while still slightly warm. Votives cool pretty quickly - sometimes too fast for their own good!

To get a really nice top, you should fill to the meniscus so there is no edge around the top. Cooling too quickly will cause a sinkhole which will require a second pour, so to avoid extra labor, be patient & cool them slowly. HTH :)

The bag has the original label from Peak so I'm sure it is PB, plus it was a friend that makes paraffin candles that sold it to me. I already test burned 3 of them they all burned great and HT great. In my original post I stated that I tested CD6, CD5, CD4. Weird huh? maybe I should order new wax, but this wax feels good :confused:and looks fine.

Stella:laugh2::laugh2:we were typing at the same time. I did do relief holes and topped them off, I was surprised because you couldn't even tell. They did sink a little in the middle. Wow I love this wax for votives it burns and smells really good. For this FO Rainwater from CS I would use a CD5. So the greasy feel is OK? I just wiped off the three I burned with a paper towel.

I think that I can do a better job as far as the appearance goes now that I tried the PB. I know what to expect.

What would happen if I mixed a little say 25% with the xcel? And what about the frost on the top is that the top cooling to fast?

What would happen if I mixed a little say 25% with the xcel? And what about the frost on the top is that the top cooling to fast?

The "greasy feel" goes away after a few days. It never becomes HARD, like palm wax. If you mix in a container soy, the votive will be even softer and more likely to become "shopworn" quickly. The solution to the frost on the top is to cool more evenly so dat don' happen. :D

Afterthought: the ones with frosting are the dark grey ones - some colors frost more easily than others.

Edited by Stella1952

OK I think I need to try and cool with a box over them or in a styrofoam cooler, cause I really want the color. If I can't do that then I should just stay with only starburst votives which come out perfect for me.

I just get board and want to move on to a new challenge I guess.:laugh2:or nightmare. I HATE FROST Palm wax doesn't do that.

I haven't used the PB in awhile cause I ran out and the it was to spendy for me to play with, but I have to agree that I LOVE the throw of it. I can't remember what I used for a wick, I want to say and LX14 or LX16, but who knows thats been a few years