2 questions about making CP/HP soap

RWV

I'm still gathering information and I have 2 questions about making CP/HP soap:

1. Do I have to use distilled water to mix the NaOH in? I've got an RO system in my home--could I use that water instead?

2. When mixing oxides in oil, can I just use oil that is part of the original formula to mix the oxide in or do I need to consider that oil as part of superfatting?

Along those same lines, when mixing any pigment/oxide/etc., does the vehicle I mix the color in need to be subtracted from the original amount of oil/water, etc. in the soap formula?

Thanks so much for your patience and expertise!!

I have a water softener and I use my tap water and it works just fine for me. I also recommend chilling your water in the fridge. I find that it calms the reaction when mixing in the NaOH plus it cools faster.

I always add my oxides to a little additional oil, water or glycerin. Usually an ounce at the most. I wouldn't subtract the water from your recipe. You maybe able to set aside an ounce of the oil but only if making CP soap. HP you want to stick to your recipe and add the blended oxides after the cook. The oil will just be a little superfat. If you're making swirls in CP soap mix your powders with water. Thinning out the soap a little helps with the swirling.

HTH,

J