When you receive your shipment of wax...

We retest with each new shipment even thought it's the same wax as ordered before. We'll test several fragrances with the new shipment and we do not change anything (same oils/same amount of oil, wicks, dye, etc). We should get the same results as previous shipments. If something is wrong with the candles, we'll know something is up with the wax.

We retest with each new shipment even thought it's the same wax as ordered before. We'll test several fragrances with the new shipment and we do not change anything (same oils/same amount of oil, wicks, dye, etc). We should get the same results as previous shipments. If something is wrong with the candles, we'll know something is up with the wax.

Same here!

You absolutely-positively must test every new batch - before you start production. Wax is manufactured to physical properties - NOT performance or application. If it's in spec - it's good - even if it doesn't act like you would like. You need your own QC to test for batch to batch variations. Wax - regardless of soy, paraffin, blends - or manufacturer - is not a widget. It will never be exactly the same every time. Now, the quality of products available is usually so good and consistent - it may seem like every batch is the same.

I will add . .

Before blending my own paraffin & soy I bought a pre-blended parasoy. I had ordered 12 cases of wax, all the same lot number on the boxes, and I had inconsistencies in burn quality thru out all of those cases :mad: No 2 cases burned the same! I had a HUGE mess ! I was pissed, sick to my stomach, and at my wits end all during a fundraiser. The supplier was not cooperative.

I learned the hard way and since only blend my own wax. I will usually pour up testers especially when opening new boxes even with the same lot numbers.

Ok.. This thread jinxed me...

Get this... Pouring candles yesterday and when I got 3/4 the way down my box of C-3 my pots of wax started to snap, crackle, pop and bubble. It looked like someone added soap to the wax.... The wax never got clear as I heated it, it remained really cloudy and thick where I could not see the bottom of my pot.

The weird thing is, the first 3/4 of this box melted fine!!! WEIRD!!!

So here we are talking about checking each 50 pound box of wax and lot #'s. Now remember, this box was fine until I got 3/4 of the way down it.

This is the first time that this has ever happened me... :rolleyes2 LOL.. I did pour the batch, and bundled up the rest of that C-3.. I will see how it burns today.

How's that for screwing up our testing methods!!! LOL :laugh2:

Ok...This thread has intigued me.

Recently one of the 2 Australian suppliers had a problem with their feather palm. I only found out by accident and noticed some of my candles burn characteristics had completely changed (The supplier has made no attempt to let its customer know however....:confused:).

My question is - How many of you have noticed changes significant enough to effect burn characteristics from box to box? How regular or common is it for the wax to change from box to box?

My question is more aimed towards feather palm users - mainly because I have been advised from a technical perspective that due to the nature of how feather palm is made it is much less likely to suffer variations.

Am curious to know how often people have found their wax has changed?

Cheers,

Rob.

Because I start off with a straight paraffin and add my own additives I generally can "feel" if something is amuck when I pull the first candle out of the mold. If its sweating FO or not grabbing color then I start questioning if the wax is a different make up from the supplier. But I can generally fix the issue just by adjusting my additives.

Let us know how they burn for you today !! Hopefully all will be fine . . sending good karma your way . .

OK - Done testing the weird batch.

1st candle - tough to burn, small flame, had to dump out wax to keep lit.

Pulled some more to test from same box - Wick drowning on 2nd burn !

So - The bottom half of the C-3 melted and performed differently than the top half.. Bottom half of box melted cloudy with soapy bubbles in the pot. Plus I noticed little strands of what looked like oil in the wax when melted that would disintegrate when mixed in the melted wax.

Maybe they greased the machines during this batch and it got in the wax?

Not only can a lot/batch be different, but part wax in a box itself..

Now I have 5 cases of pumpkin candles I can't use... UUGGHHH..

The fun of candle pouring during the busy season :rolleyes2

The candle to the left is from the top half of box.

The candle to the right is from the bottom half of box.

c3bad2.jpgbadc322.jpg

The candle to the right drowned out shortly after taking this picture.