help with Sealing stand up bags?

RetroMetroChic

For the first time I'm packaging my fizzzy bath salt powder in these stand up foil clear bags with the zip close and heat seal top, Well I heat sealed it and then the inside blew up with air and it looks like it is about to explode.

Is it the Moisture in the fizzy powder doing this? Not sure what to do

I really liked thes cute little containers but this looks like it could explode in shipment.

Any advice

haha Thanks Kitn, why didn't I think of that?

Well I emailed Lotioncrafter this morning, as that's where I got my bags from, and Jen emailed back already! This is what she said:

Oh my! This is not a problem with the bag. If anything, it shows the security of the bags. Something in your formulation is gassing and producing this effect. What are you packaging in them? You need to look at your formulation and determine what chemical reactions are going on.

Regards,

Jen

Sooo, I'm wondering what it was exactly. I packaged milk bath soaks in mine, I'll have to dig up the recipe to see what was in it exactly.

I bet you are using citric acid and baking soda in your formula. I am by no means a B&B maker but I have dabbled and had the same problem when I stored my fizzies in just a zip lock bag. Here's how it was explained to me:

When the citric and soda are wet they release gas - that's what makes the fizzy part in the tub. If it is packaged before the mix has had a time to "dry" or if it's packaged on a humid day the dampness will start reacting with the Citric and Soda and the gas will fill the closed bag. Sounds reasonable to me.

I never really got into making them again so don't know what the solution is.

Yes that is probably what it is because I did package them very quickly and I am in the south so its very humid here. I'm thinking of not sealing them just using the zip close they seem to do fine if I don't heat seal them.

It must be the reaction from the humidity, makes alot of since. When its completely airtight then the reaction makes it blow up like that.

I went back to one that looked like it was about to explode and it seemed to loose some of its steam so I am not sure if they would really explode or not

but I don't want a bath powder explosion happening inside the package LOL:laugh2:

Thanks for the help, so glad to hear I am not the only one this happened to

you should have seen my face looking at the little bags blowing up, now that was funny:shocked2:

Yes this has happened to me - I had to reduce the amount of baking soda I used in my recipe (I think the baking soda is causing this more than the citric acid). I don't have that problem since I reduce the amount of baking soda and replaced it with other ingredients instead.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of years ago I had some bath bombs that bombed so I pulverized them into powder and laid them out on parchment lined baking pans to dry...left them about 3 days and kept "stirring" them from time to time. When they felt bone dry I package in those bags (to see what would happen) and stored them. They are still looking great with no balooning (is that a word?)....I would suspect your product was still damp when you packaged.