container choices

Hi everyone,

I'm new to candle making. I've had the interest since I was a kid but never made any candles. Now, I'm making soap (and have plenty of essential oils and some fragrance oils). I would like to make soy and beeswax candles. I'd like to start with container blends.

My question is--where do you buy your containers? What do you buy? How do you determine if the glass will be safe for candles? I don't want to go buy a bunch of glass containers at the local Dollar Store and have the glass crack while the candle is in use.

If anyone has a suggestion for a good book or other learning resource for soy and other natural wax candles...please let me know!

Thanks!

Dollar stores will carry a variety of glassware. Libbey, Anchor Hocking and Crisa are usually reliable but be aware that most of this glassware is usually flawed. Your best bet for a container is one that is about as round as it is tall and preferably under 3 inches in diameter. Fillmore is very reasonable in price and has good customer service. Unfortunately, shipping makes most jars pricey. Just starting out, I would simply buy jelly jars at the grocery store. Wide mouth are great but be careful of tapering jars. Wide at top and narrow at bottom make wicking nigh impossible. I wouldn't pay more than 50 cents a jar..oh and make sure to get a plain glass and not quilted (labels).

HTH.

Steve

If you want to purchase jars for making candles go to a candle supply store that sells jars for candlemaking. Check out the state supplier list in this forum for a candle making supplies store by state. There are many good ones to choose from.

You can also pick up some soy and beeswax for candlemaking.

Thank you, Steve, for the great info! I am familiar with two out of three of those glass brands. I will also look at the canning supplies sections of the local grocery stores. I am trying to avoid buying any online just yet since I don't know what style I want to make and how much wax would be needed, etc. My goal is to make a few to add to Christmas baskets this year and then take time to learn what I need to expand my candle making next year.

Are container candles a better choice for a newbie than little votives? (I thought it might be.)

Edited by evergreen

Hi Candybee,

Unfortunately, we don't have any candle supply stores in my area. Michaels would be the only thing close.

I intend to buy beeswax from local beekeepers. I have bought some for cosmetic use already but would need more for candles. The soy wax I would buy online. I have a couple of pounds of container wax blend already since I bought it to use for batik a few years ago.

Thanks!

I highly recommend starting with votives. That's what I started with and learned a lot about the nature of wax and wicks. Votives make great gifts, in that there are some great votive holders and you can give a variety of fragrances. That's how you begin to find out what fragrances people will buy in your area. HTH.

Steve

I just get my containers from Fleet Farm, Farm & Fleet, or Menard's for now and I use Jelly Jars. I do agree with Chuck though with starting with votives. That's what I started out with and I'm glad I did. It gets you used to the whole candle making process. HTH!