question- bath & body getting started

babygirl

I wanting to learn to make bath and body products and soaps. For a beginner what is the easiest prodcut to start making. I know I am wanting to make sugar scrubs, body butter, lip balms, and soaps. I am just trying to figure out where to start. There is so much info here and I am thankful I found this site. But I am not sure where to start. What did you start making first.

Hi! :) I agree with the others, make something you really want to use yourself, in a scent you love, and it will totally inspire you to keep learning and making!

That said, when I started out I made ... whipped shea, lip balm and lotion bars, as well as simple CP/HP soaps.

There are lots of lip balm, and lotion bar recipes floating around, and I know when I started I just wrote down a few, made little batches to try and went from there!

Have fun! :)

Guest PassionSunKiss

I just started in July and ignorantly jumped into emulsified body butters (body butters that use water), which starting out as a beginner can be a little bit pricey because its been trial and error for me, but I've had beautiful results. After much research, regular body butters appear to be the easiest, but greasiest. All you really have to do is melt the butters and whip them with a hand mixer or a Kitchen Aid stand up mixer. To buy ingredients, I started out with using www.lotioncrafters.com, www.wholesalesuppilesplus.com . Make sure you sanitize all your tools, bowls, etc...I use something like clorox cleanup, rinse well, and air dry. You have to be pretty sanitary when doing these things, so you may want to use disposable gloves when handling your supplies and ingredients. Ultimately, read and research, trial and error! Hope this helps!

Edited by PassionSunKiss

I started with lip balms 13 years ago! I love lip balm and can never get enough of it, or find the perfect balm - so I started making my own. Its easy, just melt and pour, and you can get starter ingredients locally (cocoa butter, beeswax, shea butter, oils, etc). A basic, non-emulsified body butter is just a soft lip balm, so that's a nice place to start as well. Nowadays I make every B&B product my family uses, from conditioner to diaper cream to laundry soap. But one place I've never gone? Bath salts! So easy, but I've never made them. Go figure. =)

Edited by mychellec