Is beeswax supposed to smell like this?

Yellow beeswax should smell honey-ish, not in any way offensive. Sometimes the darker beeswax will have a different smell depending on what type of flowers the bees were using as a food source. But regular yellow beeswax should be pleasant.

Cheers,

Steve

Trust your nose, and if you don't, sniff some coffee beans and smell the wax again.

Oh, that reminds me of a joke. You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you ought not to pick your friend's nose.

Hehehehe. Now you know why some sellers on ebay write "Comes from a smoke free home."

Funny you ask.. I've only bought yellow beeswax once and I thought it was stinky too! I remember how I could smell it from the moment I cut open the box. I thought it was kinda strange but I never got around to using it so I'm not sure if the smell would change at all through the candle making process or not. Since it was my first time handling the yellow stuff (been using white for years..it has virtually no smell at all) I just figured..maybe that's just how yellow is.

Anyway..just wanted to share that yes I've had this happen and I bought mine straight from the supplier.

HTH

I've always bought the "bricks" of beeswax straight from the beekeepers or bee co-ops and they have always had that great honey scent! Used the pastilles once many years ago, and they were easier to use, but lacked the great smell of fresh beeswax.

Cheers,

Steve