Medical claims for... dogs?

This is going to sound weird but...

are we allowed to make medical claims for... dogs? like for example if I had developed a spray, soap, or something with ingredients known to repel fleas/ticks. Most definitely crossing the line if it was a HUMAN product but I havent been able to find anything in regards to pets.

I asked my veterinarian (poor guy.. kinda tricked him.. he thought he was just doing a rabies shot that day.. little did he know.... hahaha)

and he said he had no idea.. but that he didnt think pet cosmetics were really regulated in the same way, or not that he knew.

I know food is regulated.. but thats different.

Quite, frankly, I wouldn't ever claim on anything. Not everything will work on every person has person/animal and also each person has their own idea of what "works" means (ex: helps, relieves, cures).

I would say that "I use it for..." or "I know someone who uses it for..."; but also say that every situation is different.

Trudi

I have seen claims on vitamins and supplements but they usually have a disclaimer...

"These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease"

...or something along those lines, I guess this relieves them of any liability?

Most States treat dogs as personal property. If you get sued because the dog died in such a State, it is worth the value of the property. Sentimental value = $0.00.

So, if the dog is high bred and exotic, it might be worth something. If it is a mutt from the pound, about 5 bucks.

The cost of an attorney to defend you is free if you have homeowner or renters insurance. Expect your rates to go up a bit if this happens, but you won't be paying hourly for the lawyer.

That said, think about ethics. If your product does help the dog and the owner is glad to buy it, great. If your product hurts the dog, expect to associate your business name with mud.

i wish we knew better where the line is.. because we see products every day making claims on store shelves.. how do they do this? submit to testing?

The statement not evaluated by the FDA won't help you, but we're supposed to include statements about not being tested in a whatever laboratory right?

I believe yes, you'll have to submit to testing.

You know ... bug off, bug be gone and all that kind of stuff that we all can make is considered to be an insecticide and yet no one changes their wording/stuff/submits for testing/applies for licenses whatever ... I pretty much view animals and pets as a likeness to humans in the form of making claims about products etc. The final answer though might just be contacting the FDA and finding out what they say the golden rule is.

The statement not evaluated by the FDA won't help you, but we're supposed to include statements about not being tested in a whatever laboratory right?

I believe yes, you'll have to submit to testing.

You know ... bug off, bug be gone and all that kind of stuff that we all can make is considered to be an insecticide and yet no one changes their wording/stuff/submits for testing/applies for licenses whatever ... I pretty much view animals and pets as a likeness to humans in the form of making claims about products etc. The final answer though might just be contacting the FDA and finding out what they say the golden rule is.

yeah I should try and give them a call and see what they say.. its possible they might have a simple answer for this!

I'll let you guys know what I find out if I can get someone to answer my questions.

Most States treat dogs as personal property. If you get sued because the dog died in such a State, it is worth the value of the property. Sentimental value = $0.00.

So, if the dog is high bred and exotic, it might be worth something. If it is a mutt from the pound, about 5 bucks.

The cost of an attorney to defend you is free if you have homeowner or renters insurance. Expect your rates to go up a bit if this happens, but you won't be paying hourly for the lawyer.

That said, think about ethics. If your product does help the dog and the owner is glad to buy it, great. If your product hurts the dog, expect to associate your business name with mud.

my liability insurance covers me for anything, including pets.. already checked. Dont really see how a dog would die from a bar of soap, though.. lol :)

Edited by LuminousBoutique