Scenting liquid soap

Jeana

I have a few batches of liquid soap under my belt now, it really is fun to make. Except I'm having trouble when I add certain essential oils to scent it. Some of them turn basically back into the paste and stay that way. Then others get lumpy and pasty but smoothe out fine if I wait a couple days.

I took some that was perma paste and tried heating it back up to see if it would smooth out. It got even thicker. Once it has turned back into paste again is there a way to save it?

My main goal is to have a master batch and take from it to scent only what I need. I have been doing this cold instead of heating the soap back up cuz when I reheat it, it gets very sudsy. If I heat it up first will the scent blend better? Or is there something to add to make it smooth again?

Anyone have any insight on scenting smaller portions instead of the entire batch?

I never thought scenting the soap would be the hard part:tongue2:

I have this problem also. I have a bunch of 2 oz bottles that I fill with LS and scent them. Then I let them sit to see what they do. They range from turning into a paste, getting cloudy, looking like it separated to no effect at all. I then use the no effect scents. Like this:

hallettsilleandLSandconfettsoaps004.jpg

Edited by adillenal

I scent mine right after I make it and let it sequester with the scent. I tried scenting it later on and sometimes it would not behave. I add the scent at the dilution phase.

So, if this works...couldn't you leave your LS in paste form until you are ready, and then you can dilute and scent at that time? I know someone who used to freeze the paste.

I scent mine right after I make it and let it sequester with the scent. I tried scenting it later on and sometimes it would not behave. I add the scent at the dilution phase.

I knew I could scent the entire batch after neutralizing but I was trying to avoid having to have the entire batch one scent. That seems like a big commitment if people don't like the scent very well.

I added glycerin and citric acid to one batch. The next day pulled out some, enough for two bottles with two different scents. The one with tea tree turned to paste but after leaving it for a few days has turned out really nice.

My next batch I didn't dilute as much, didn't add glycerin or citirc acid. I scented some with Euc, and Lemongrass, and one with geranium, lav, and ylang. Both of them turned to paste and haven't become smooth yet. It has been about 1 week.

I wondering if the higher dilution rate, the glycerin, or citic acid helped the scent to blend better with my first batch. Any thoughts about this?

So Adillenal do you throw the ones that don't work out? No way to save them?

Sorry Asheebeans - keep trying. I'm sure your LS isn't as bad as you think.

I also have another question. How do you guys store your LS until you are ready to package it? I tried plastic bottles but I feel like the soap picks up the plastic smell.

I leave my liquid soap in a five gallon bucket with a lid until I need to package it.

And I use the LS samples that did not play nice with the FO or EO for home use.

I also do not want to scent the entire 5 gallon bucket of LS. I actually scent each bottle individually since I use foamers. I use a pipette for that purpose. I have 3 EO's and one FO that I use for LS. They work and I don't feel the need to have more than that since those are good seller.

Pink grapefuit, Rose Geranium, Lavender and a Rosemay Mint FO. I still try out a few new ones everytime I make LS in hopes one of them will be good enough to add to my line.