anyone use dry flo in their whipped shea

CandleFreak

I whipped up a batch of shea yesterday and am completely disappointed in the results. I felt like a greased pig. I mean after rubbing this stuff on my skin I looked like the old school sunbathers all oiled and glistening...not at all what I had in mind. Today my skin feels really nice...but last night I was tempted to shower...it just felt gross.

Here is the recipe I used:

16 oz Unrefined Shea - from Abanga

2 oz Sweet Almond Oil

2 Oz Apricot Kernal Oil

1 oz LoveSpell FO (Peaks) - blewk hate this smell

2 tsp cornstarch - but eventually added a ton more but made no difference i greasiness

So I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for me....have you used DryFlo in the shea...is it better than cornstarch?

Would refined Shea make it less greasy?

Or is it just me?

And the smell of this stuff is disgusting IMO....LoveSpell isn't my favorite scent but mixed with the "natural" shea smell it's revolting to me.

So some things I learned....

don't make such a large test batch

only use scent you LOVE in a test batch (cause i'll be the only one using this)

HELP - sorry so long...

TIA Crystal

Another thing I would suggest is switch some or all of your liquid oils to fractionated coconut oil, I found that made it much less greasy.

Be sure that when you're putting on the shea butter that you only use a LITTLE bit. That's the great thing about shea is a little goes a very long way. If you put too much on it'll feel very greasy.

Be sure that when you're putting on the shea butter that you only use a LITTLE bit. That's the great thing about shea is a little goes a very long way. If you put too much on it'll feel very greasy.

Linny is very right. I use just a dab and it works for both hands. A blob smaller than my pinky fingernail will work for both hands. My mom gets about a nickle size blob and then complains that it's too greasy. Also, when putting shea on your hands, try to put it on the back of your hand and rub it in with your hands back to back. The palm of your hand needs very little moisturizer and it will make you feel really greasy when your palms and fingers are greasy.

I make whipped shea and I actually use Dry-flo and IPM.

I haven't tried the dry flo in mine, just the cornstarch, but I have to agree with what the others said, like Carrie I only use the tiniest amount (about the size of the tip of my pinky also) for both hands, and I start with the backs of my hands also. ;)

For my legs or arms, I put about the size of a nickel in my hands and rub until nice and melted and then rub into other body parts, a little dab'l do ya. ;)

The recipe I've used only uses 2oz. of oils not 4oz. so maybe try cutting back a bit on the oils as well??

Oh and it's possible but it makes it a bit harder to "whip" when you make a smaller batch than a pound, at least in my opinion. Just make sure you use a much smaller bowl if you half the recipe etc. that way you can still whip it up good.

I can't even imagine putting lovespell FO in with the shea-BARF! My daughter loves that scent, I can't stand it, I've tried to acquire a liking for it, nope can't do it, it just plain ol' stinks to me, and then to put it with the slightly stinky shea butter??? NOT. LOL

I still stand by the belief that a complimentary FO/EO needs to be used with the shea butter, b/c no amount of fragrance can completely mask that unusual odor.

Scent Cellar,

This is the reference I use. It is from the MMS Site.

INCI: Isopropyl Myristate

Saponification Value: 208 mg KOH / g of Fat This wonderful additive is used to reduce the greasy feeling in lotions and creams. IPM can also be used in lip balms and lotion bars. In lotions this product is considered a dry effect emollient to the skin. This product can be used up to 10%. Here are some beginning recommendations for your products:

Lotions: 1 to 3%

Creams: 3 to 6%

Butters & Lotion Bars: 4-10%

Massage Oils: 4-8%

Lip Balm:1-5%

Please remember that these are general percentages to allow you to make a test batch. Your preferences may require higher or lower rates. Just test away

I usually go with 10%.

thanks ladies for the wonderful advice!!! I will be trying out some of the dry Flo and the IPM....off to reread that post about "complimentary" scents.....

Michi...I so agree with you on the "LoveSpell" I don't know what I was thinking.....other than my sis-n-law likes the super sweet scents like that....maybe I should just give it all to her for a Christmas present bbaaaawwwwhhhaaaaahahhahahaha....it could be a gag gift! literally!

Carrie thanks for the info on the IPM.....will definitely be looking into that....

I think I will try some of bunny bath melts......anything I should NOT do with these????? Maybe I should start a column of what NOT to do before I start experimenting! but then what would I learn......