My FIRST Pillar!

And here is the first burn result. I burned it for four hours. Didn't use much wax up at all! I had a good 1" flame and a good 1/4"-1/2" pool (which is hard to judge). The melt pool was a little off center as you can see, but I know the wick was centered. Could this be from the wick curling over in that direction? The cold throw was great, according to Jessi. I can't smell a thing right now :embarasse She said the warm throw though, was not nearly as good. The only problem I saw was that the base cracked and caved in, which I can see causing problems later on down the candle. I did two pours, just like the guide here and candltech suggested. So what do you all think?

PillarCollage.jpg

I think it looks good. The burning off center is most likely because the wick bending some like you said. It looks like you've got a good size wick. I use this wax too and I get the cracks at the bottom sometimes. I usually mix it with a softer pillar blend and I don't get them as much this way. I still haven't figured out exactly what causes the cracks yet. The best answer I have come up with for me is that I may be heating too high when it happens. If yours was only 165, I doubt this is the problem for you.

Good job:smiley2:

Looks like you're off to a great start. It's especially nice that you got such a good burn on the first try. Soy wax is a little notorious for the cracking and pitting you've got on the bottom, so you'll have to work out how to make your particular wax behave. Otherwise you could be getting air pockets at the bottom.

Really nice job though. Looks good, burns good. Some FOs will throw better than others in soy. You'll find the ones that work. Congratulations and stay excited.

Other than the bottom, you have a great looking candle! Before I got caught up in conatiners, I started playing around making pillars. In fact, I have some MC pillar blend I haven't even yet tried. Pillars are fun! It's like opening a Christmas present, you don't really know what you get till its opened. Then you have a great surprise! :yay:

Hey Everyone,

Thank you for the compliments, much appreciated. Jessi tells me the whole house smells of Graham Cracker, just wish I could smellsanta roll I like posting the pictures, I feel it gives everyone a better understanding of what I am talking about, plus I just love my camera!

Well, this sink hole formed after I punched holes and made a second pour. At what point do you punch the holes and then what temp do you repour at? Does this make any difference?

Also, is there any way to prevent that wick from curling over? Is ths something the LX series is known for? I am really overwhelmed on wicks, to much to learn!

Thanks for everyone help, very much!

James

I think everyone likes to see pictures. What kind of camera do you have? It looks like a good one.

I think most of the wicks meant to be used in veg wax curl at least a little. It does make it appear the wick is not centered. I gave someone a candle to test for me one time. She said it was burning to the side, and thought it may not be centered. It didn't even occur to me to tell her this is due to the curl in the wick.

Don't get overwhelmed with the wicks. Pick one or two brands and work with them a while. When I first started out I stayed with LX and RRD wicks. Since I got to know them and practice with them in so many waxes, I felt ready to learn more. Recently I ventured out and ordered samplers of HTP, ECO, CD, & CDN. It is fun now because I just always compare them to the RRDs and LX. Basically, if you take your time to learn a couple of them you won't get confused and you can comfortably move on to learn about other wicks.

Also, is there any way to prevent that wick from curling over? Is ths something the LX series is known for? I am really overwhelmed on wicks, to much to learn!
Embrace the curl. All flat braided wicks do it. It puts the tip into the hottest part of the flame, which helps keep it from getting too long or forming a mushroom. If you are deeply disturbed by the flame going off center then there various cored wicks that don't bend. Personally I'm a flat braid man all the way.