Cold Pour Votive a Complete Failure

I don't know if anyone here has tried a frosted votive. This tends to be a more pillar-friendly forum, so I'm not sure if there are some success stories about frosted votives.

I usually pour votives at 200 (my wax has MP of 148). Last night, I poured a votive at 165. The bottom third came out looking somewhat frosted, but the top 2/3 was mottled and bubble-ridden.

I don't have a photo, but I can tell you that votive will be returned to the pot and recycled.

well, I know that the cold pour is supposed to be poured at only 10 degrees higher than the mp - you were almost 20 degrees higher. I don't do votives, so I don't know if cold pour will work in such small molds, but I do know that you seem to have poured too hot. You can wait for a votive person to chime in, or you can try another pour at around 158. Just a suggestion. HTH :)

The top of the candle was 'bubble city', so even if I could get the sides to look frosted the top might look pretty bad.

Oh, well...I guess that's why we experiment. The nice thing with votives is that they don't take terribly long to make and can easily be recycled. Now that I have wick pins I don't need to destroy a wick in the process.

My molds tend to be naturally cool, owing to the fact that I keep the house on the cool side. I was actually wondering if I might need to warm them up a bit, though I may have to wait for a heat gun to arrive in the Christmas stocking this year.

Problem is...if I poured at 150 my wax would be partially solid. I don't think it is your typical votive wax, since I haven't heard about anyone on earth pouring votives at 200 degrees like me.

If the 10 degree rule is a universal rule I can only go down to 158.

Do you guys have photos of your frosted votives? I'd like to see what one is supposed to look like.

You can pour at whatever temp you need to in order to get the frost you want on the sides. The top doesn't have to have bubbles, just up your temp for the repour to what it would normally be. Ok, maybe not up to 200 though or it could heat the mold and kill the frost. Also you can give the top a gentle zap from a distance right after the repour to remove the intitial "sluggish wax" bubbles.

I just use the Yaley Premium wax (aka Waxcellent Q19, imported from Iceland), which is what I've used for years now (I once tried a "votive wax" and I didn't like it very much). When I look at your photos that middle one has some bands on it that did show up on the bottom 1/3 of mine. I had the right idea, apparently. I don't know...I seem to be good at the mottle, so perhaps I need to stick with that.

I currently don't have "zapping" capabilities. Perhaps there will be a shiny new heat gun showing up in a stocking a few weeks from now.

P.S. Your wicks are curly...are these some kind of new "piglet tail" wicks I have yet to hear about?

Your wicks are curly...are these some kind of new "piglet tail" wicks I have yet to hear about?

3070046i.gif Not at all...... My wicks are waxed, so after I've wicked the candle, I take a skewer and wrap the wick around it to make it curl. I learnt how to do it from someone else on the board. Wish I could remember who so that I could give them the credit.......

Well, this was my third try at making a frosted votive and it actually doesn't look like absolute garbage (or does it?). Granted, there is always room for improvement. I poured at 160 (12 degrees above MP) and did not cool the mold.

cold.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy picture. My digital camera is ancient and apparently doesn't like close-ups.

Problem is, I only did that one. Normally, I'll do a batch of 8 votives at one time. Because I was so close to the MP I was afraid that by the time I got to the 8th one the wax would be congealing like crazy. Is this an issue for anyone? Is there a general rule for how quickly wax cools?

All in all, I think the one above came out relatively fine.

Thanks for the comment.

Yep just stick the pot back on the heat source for a couple of minutes and you can continue on. I usually get about 8-9 poured before needing to do anything. Hope you get the heat gun. It will save ya on some of this ... i.e. a quick zap to get rid of bubbles on tops etc.

One thing on rustics, don't try to cool them too fast or you'll leave most of the frosting in the mold.

Thank you...I think the second one is a tad less fuzzy. This camera just doesn't like to focus on objects that are less than 3 feet away.

The surface of that candle is actually quite smooth despite the plethora of imperfections. However, the dark area near the bottom is rough.

Does anyone know why the "frosting" stayed in the bottom half of the candle? In the first two failed attempts there was just a thin layer of frost near the bottom. Now, if I could just get the frost to cover the entire candle...I wonder if it's possible with votives.