prices

Man! I`ve been out of the candle business toooo long. I didnt realize prices have gone up so much. Maybe I need to rethink this before I jump back into it. Warmers are so high. I know Walmart brand are only 5.00....(and Walmart). But still.....

I totally agree about the prices. I used to own a Retail candle store and sold it in 2000 to go back into nursing. After 5 year non-compete clause ended I started piddling with the candle thing again. It's hard to make any profit these days. I recently decided to call the candlemaking quits and keep making soap. :-)

heh.. soaps no better. I had someone on etsy make a comment about "oh I should just make soap since they sell so much" and someone who's sold over 8,000 bars on there (over about a three year period!!) popped in and said.. yeah, I've sold x amount... but I only made $1.50 per bar, TOPS, once you figure all other costs... man she reconsidered after that.

We've been considering a move to Maui to live by my parents... I calculated shipping for 10 cases of wax... ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS. no kidding. 500 lbs of wax... 1,000.00... on top of the $500 for the wax. Thats not even figuring fragrance oils, containers, jars, wicks... hot damn. How does anyone do it?

We used to have a supplier here but they closed which means now there's shipping on everything which can be expensive. We make a trip 2 times a year and buy wax, jars the type of things can get crazy when it comes to shipping. We have a place about 4 hours from us (each way) so it's better for us to drive the 8 hours total and spend about 80 bucks in gas than pay 600.00 plus for shipping. If you have a supplier within reasonable driving distance that would have the type of wax and jars you use I strongly suggest doing that. But make sure you get enough to make it worth your time.

Same here. Candlewic, Candles & Supplies, Fillmore Containers, Backwoods, Early American Candle Supply, Tri-State Candle Supply, Southern Soapers, and Candle Science are all approximately 4 hours drive from me. So a couple of times a year I do the drive to stock up and save on shipping. I just plan a full day trip.