Need a pep talk to go into the stores and get wholesale accounts

candles4ever

I've been to every gift/country shop around my area and all I see is the same brands and same scents at every single one.. Ones that sell for $1 up to $1.89 each for a Tart..

I've tested those to compare to mine and not to toot my own horn but mine are so better and less expensive..

I just don't know how I should go about it though.

Should I go in there with a wholesale packet and samples?? I hate calling people but if I should call first what do I say??

Sorry I'm just a nervous nelly when it comes to stuff like this.. I have a great Fall line up of scents that my customers absolutley love so I know others would too..

I really can't help you too much but if you do a search on this forum using "wholesale accounts" with the quotation marks you will come up with tons of do's and don't's . I fell into the few wholesale accounts I have but I make soap not candles. I picked mine up at shows. I feel though if you want something bad enough you have to go for it. It maybe hard at first but after a few times it will get easier.

Should I go in there with a wholesale packet and samples?? I hate calling people but if I should call first what do I say??

That's exactly what I do if I want a specific store to sell my product.

Ask for the owner/Manager and make sure you get their name.

Tell them you are a chandler and would love them to test some of you products. Then give them a sample bag with your wholesale prices and an information sheet about your company. Then give them a follow up call in about 3 weeks if you have not heard from them.

Many of my wholesale accounts have been from dropping off samples and speaking to the owner.

Just go for it and be confident like Jaxx said.

You have nothing to loose, but everything to gain!!!

Edited by islandgirl

I started wholesaling my candles and soaps this year so I know how you feel. Its scary at first but if you prepare yourself it will help you be more confident and professional.

I don't leave candle samples but I always bring a sample case of all my candle scents along with a box of all my soaps.

When I approach the shop I take a sample candle and soap with a simple brochure and ask to speak with the manager or owner. I always get a biz card so I can follow up with a call. Often if they are interested they will order right on the spot. Thats when you bring in the rest of your samples in the candle case and soap box to show them so they can select the scents they want.

Make sure you have the wholesale prices, scents, and contact info in your brochure. I also write a little blurb about the sale points of my candles and soap and why customers will want to buy them.

I went wholesaling for about 2 months in late spring early summer. I ended up with a dozen wholesale accounts. Right now I am waiting to put together my fall line and go back out to do some more wholesaling. I also plan to show my new line to my current customers so they may order early for fall.

If you want to wholesale this year its time to put together your fall line and go with that. If you are planning holiday scents make sure you let customers know that you will also have scents available for xmas.

Good luck!

Try different type shops. One of my biggest wholesale accounts is a Consignment shop. I also recommended tart warmers for her to sell, I do this with all my accounts. Let them know every contact you have for warmers. Their customers have credit when they come in and will spend it on warmers and tarts. Also have a nursery that buys a lot. Antique store too. Most are gift shops but they love my product and promote it so it really sells. I also exchange candles with my hair dresser. Keep a running tab of what I bring in and how much my hair color and cuts cost. She doesn't carry a lot but it's enough especially around the holidays.

Edited by Sharon in KY

Thank you , Thank you, Thank you.. I am so pumped now, lol... I have a list of places I want to call and go to.

I do have a few consignment shops, though they are good friends so it wasn't hard or nerve wracking to set those up.. They actually came to me, lol.

I have been making candles for several years you would think that I would just go for it.

Thank you again I'm so excited I'm getting my brochure ready..

Good luck! I hope you come back with a good success story to tell. Don't be afraid to just walk into a shop and ask for the owner. If they are busy or not there just leave your card with a brochure and get one of their biz cards for yourself. Besides, its good to get a feel for the shop and if your candles fit in.

You can also show the clerk your samples if they have time--but don't be pushy about it. Having someone in the shop familiar with you and your products may help when you do a follow up call to the owner/manager.

Edited by Candybee

• 2 months later...

This thread kinda jumped out at me and I need help!!!

I'm currently set up in a salon and restaurant but those two were easy because I have known them forever. I walked into a flower/gift shop that looks really nice right around the corner from me and she is having problems selling her Tyler stuff so I offered to show her the things I make. She was very interested and even gave me more contacts to talk to at the local chamber of commerce. I didn't mean to set up an account but just have a look at the shop but she started talking about soy candles and it went from there :yay: (I started talking about scent throw for paraffin vs soy) She wants me to come back to show her what I make which is no problem but what about agreements? Ideas??? The lady is just sweet as can be and a retired school teacher turned business owner. I'm pretty excited!